The mission of the Center for Applied Brain and Cognitive Sciences (CABCS) is to bring together a unique interdisciplinary community of scientists and engineers to advance the state of the art in applied brain and cognitive sciences. The center provides an innovative environment for conducting collaborative applied research focusing on measuring, predicting, and enhancing cognitive capabilities and human system interactions for individuals and teams working in naturalistic high-stakes environments
What You'll Do
The department requires full-time computer programming and engineering support to maintain and modify software, integrate virtual reality tools (hardware, software), maintain laboratory hardware and provide troubleshooting support, and manage our three virtual reality caves. This staff member will work to develop and maintain innovative virtual reality capabilities, including hardware and software, to facilitate our research and development progress.
• Developing and testing scripted scenarios in Unreal and/or Unity gaming engines, including event triggering and data logging
• Deploying custom software and scenarios on head-mounted displays (HMDs, including HTC Vive and Varjo headsets), in virtual reality caves, and on desktop and mobile devices.
• Integrating virtual reality hardware and software, including HMDs, cave-based VR systems, gaming weapons, mobile eye tracking devices, physiological status monitors, torso shock belts, omnidirectional treadmills, gesture-based controls, and other peripherals.
• Developing and validating data logging and synchronization capabilities using Lab Streaming Layer and Lab Recorder, to facilitate multi-modal biosensing and game-based data logging.
• Maintaining and updating VR cave facilities, including hardware and software, to ensure seamless data collections.
• Working in a collaborative and communicative manner with research scientists and department staff to understand their needs, develop and iterate on software/hardware solutions, and seek feedback.
• Assisting with facility tours from University and Defense Department leadership, including the setup and demonstration of VR capabilities.
What We're Looking For
In addition to minimum requirements, preferred experience with DTrack software (by ART), TrackD software (by Mechdyne), nDisplay software, Infinadeck controller software, Lab Streaming Layer and Lab Recorder, Arduino Integration, Blender/3DsMax graphic design packages, VR weapon maintenance and software integration, and virtual reality facility maintenance