Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Manager of Utilities Engineering (0481U) 14728
University of California, Berkeley
Manager of Utilities Engineering (0481U) 14728
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services is comprised of eight separate units which include: the Director's Office, Campus Building Department, Asset Management, Campus Operations, Customer Service Center, Maintenance Operations, Engineering and Technical Services. Facilities Services strives to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the University community and ensure that classrooms, laboratories, and offices all are maintained and function well.
The Manager of Utilities Engineering, is responsible for ensuring that the campus is served by utility systems that are adequately sized, safe, reliable, & that utility service is procured at reasonable cost, manage billings, prepares re-charges & utility consumption records, participates in energy conservation efforts & keeps the utility metering in-place, and plan for long range utility requirements. Involves engineering review of design, construction and alteration of distributed utilities as electrical, steam & condensate, water, natural gas, sanitary & storm sewers, including central plant, and fire alarm systems keeping in mind continuous operation, maintainability & safety. Involves new construction, major alterations and maintenance of utility infrastructure. Includes civil, electrical and mechanical engineering specialties. Collaborates with campus entities, UCOP, outside utility providers, and regulatory agencies.
The scope of this position is campus wide and touches all academic and administrative departments and research facilities covering all segments of the University. Its customers include are academics, researchers, students, staff and the general public.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provides strategies, tactical management and coordination of all capital improvement projects, including ensuring implementation of planned and comprehensive building, landscape and infrastructure campus programs.
- Provides leadership, direction and expertise to department, projects or decentralized facilities management and construction activities relating to outside of the building utilities as electricity, water, steam, and sanitary & storm sewer.
- Focuses on integrity of approved project program through the successive phases of project development and implementation, development of early project estimates and budgets, integrity of project design and functional performance expectations.
- Ensures all outside utility systems steam, electrical, , water, sewer, and fire protection meet University and Campus standards, operability, maintainability, and safety.
- Manages professional staff of architects, engineers, landscape architects, project managers, analysts, and other design/construction professionals; identifies staffing needs, selects, hires, trains, evaluates and as required takes corrective action with direct reports.
- Responsibilities may include the following.
- Directly oversees budgets and scheduling issues for assigned projects, ensuring on-budget and on-time performance.
- Establishes/maintains good working relationship with diverse populations including internal departmental units, campus service providers such as EH&S and Police, and external regulatory agencies such as State Fire Marshall, State Architect, Utility providers et cetera, to ensure sufficient support for tactical project implementation.
- Provides expertise in selection of design professionals, fee and contract negotiations, project code compliance and regulations, engineering and technical support, campus policies and project development. Thru Plan Review and project meetings, conveys the design requirements and intent to those responsible for the design in specialized utility distribution as manholes, switching stations, interconnection, and required materials. Actively participate in revision of Construction Design Standards.
- Advises senior management in responding to requests for information regarding the Capital Improvement Program, ensuring consistency and continuity in offering historical perspective in describing projects. Timely review & approval of utility invoices, make sure utility meters are read on time, utility database is updated, and recharges are completed
- Advises senior management in developing/conducting presentations, seminars, workshops, et cetera.
- Thorough knowledge in planning, design, construction, environmental issues, legal issues, federal, state and local laws, regulations and practices governing planning, building design and construction, state and federal legislative processes.
- Thorough financial, budgeting and cost management skills, including interacting with and synthesizing widely divergent viewpoints and interests.
- Thorough knowledge of the campus, including its vision, mission, goals, organization, achievements, infrastructure and short and long range strategic capital projects plans.
- Excellent organizational skills including skill in consistently and effectively meeting budget and time deadlines.
- Excellent skills to lead, direct and manage personnel including selection, training, evaluating and as required taking corrective action.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including skill to work effectively with multiple constituencies to advance organizational objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical or Civil) or the equivalent combination of education and training
- Minimum ten (10) years experience in utilities or building operations and engineering field of which five years have been in a supervisory position.
Licenses or certifications:
- CA Professional Engineer's License (Mechanical or Electrical or Civil)
Salary & Benefits
$111,100- $174,500 annually. Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14728&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |