Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Space Planner (7083U) 11427
University of California, Berkeley
Space Planner (7083U) 11427
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 9, 2020
The mission of the Division of Academic Planning is to facilitate excellence in research and education at UC Berkeley. We oversee the overall academic direction of the university, steward space in university facilities, and facilitate strategic international partnerships. In fulfilling these goals, we collaborate closely with the schools, colleges, departments, and organizations across the campus, looking for synergies across organizational and disciplinary boundaries, and supporting the growth and development of emerging academic disciplines.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff of Academic Planning, and closely collaborating with a small team of academic space planners, this position involves the collection, updating, management, and reporting of space planning related data. This position is expected to operate as the space data expert for the Division of Academic Planning and for UC Berkeley. Additionally, this position will analyze and utilize the space data to collaborate in the strategic and long-range planning for the programming, design, and development of campus space, properties, and facilities, including buildings, infrastructure, and landscape projects; research, design and program guidelines; compliance with environmental planning regulations and architectural design review.
Serves as Academic Space Planner/Space Data Project Manager for campus-wide initiatives:
- Oversees campus' academic planning software database system TRIRIGA. This system houses all academic space data and is the center of a data-driven space management office. Incumbent is a recognized expert in space data collection, housing, upkeep, and reporting.
- Responsible for updating, maintaining, and reporting space data to UCOP, the VPAP and team, and other collaborating campus partners.
- Responsible for the coordination and collaboration with campus partners who provide updated space drawings/floorplans.
- Stays abreast of changing technologies related to space planning, and partakes in local and national conversations regarding space planning technologies.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining an expert-level space data collection, maintenance, and reporting operations workflow.
Provides academic space planning services for the VPAP and campus. This includes small, medium, and large scale moves and surge planning:
- Utilizing space data, serves as an academic space planner collaborating with team members and various campus entities (e.g., Capital Planning, Facilities Management, Building Managers, etc.).
- Provides highly detailed space data and briefing materials to the VPAP, COS, and various collaborators and committees.
- Serves as liaison with campus and external agencies regarding space moves, construction activities, and renovation projects for all spaces under the preview of VPAP.
- Tracks and monitors academic space requests submitted either formally or informally. Collaborates in the management of an operational process for space requests and customer service questions. Develops and implements a departmental communication strategy that ensures all impacted parties are kept well informed of project goals and progress.
- May serve as Project Manager for small and medium sized space planning moves, including surge planning.
- On behalf of the VPAP, plans and directs space improvement projects while partnering with key stakeholders i.e., Facilities Services and Capital Projects, other campus and external agencies, campus officials, building/department leadership, Deans, Chairs and Vice Chancellors, consultants, contractors, and vendors regarding space improvement projects to realize space related initiatives goals.
- Analyzes footprint of space and recommend alternatives to space configurations.
- Collaborates in the ongoing development of space incentive programs (and any future space related initiatives).
- Develops programs by collaborating with campus officials and building/department leadership to develop a scope of work, budget and schedule. Assumes responsibility for ensuring projects remain on scope, budget and schedule, recommending mitigating actions and communication strategies when projects may not conform to program parameters.
- Collaborates in the management of space activities (renovations, remodeling, maintenance, safety and security).
Provides general expert administrative staffing for a number of related projects and tasks within the Space Planning team and the Division of Academic Planning:
- This may include staffing committees, updating web content, preparing and/or delivering presentations, briefing leadership on projects/tasks, and scheduling events/meetings.
- Participates in planning for long range and precinct plans, facility master plans, transportation plans, project definition and feasibility phases of building and infrastructure projects.
- As needed, reviews building operations and management policies and procedures with campus officials, unit leadership and negotiates improved and effective agreements. Coordinates with academic program reviews on space reviews and best practice for optimal space utilization.
- Strong data management skills; ability to expertly use a large space planning database system.
- Thorough working knowledge/skill in city planning, architecture, and/or other planning-related fields.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Thorough knowledge of or ability to quickly learn the campus, including its architectural history, long range development plans, infrastructure and current, on-going and proposed design and construction plans.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Familiar with space management processes
- Understanding of architectural drawings and specifications.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) position. Annual salary range is $80,000 - $100,000, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=11427&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |