Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Sr. Custodian (5116C)
University of California, Berkeley
Sr. Custodian (5116C)
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 12, 2019
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Cal Dining is looking for a Partial Year Career Sr. Custodian to join the team. This position is a partial year career appointment with a furlough.
- Appropriately disposes trash, compost, recyclables and other garbage from all dining service areas, cleans containers, trash collection areas and loading dock. Hoses out garbage rooms in units that have garbage rooms as needed.
- Sweeps, strips, mops, buffs, waxes and vacuums floors in laundry room, kitchen, dish room, serving line, offices, bathrooms, storerooms and docks.
- Cleans and maintains supplies in all dining service bathrooms.
- Cleans walls, baseboards, mats, drains and vents in kitchen and serving line.
- Cleans glass windows and doors.
- Cleans entryways and service lines.
- Spot cleans carpets.
- Washes pots, pans and utensils; puts clean items away.
- Washes steam jacketed kettles.
- Operates and maintains pot washing machine, floor scrubber, buffer, water vacuum, vacuum cleaner, steam jacketed kettles, dish machine, portable steam cleaner, mops and brooms
- Cleans equipment: refrigerators, dish machine, trayveyor, kettles and pots.
- Works and directs staff in dish room and pot-washing areas.
- Power washes carts, docks, trayveyor and dish room.
- Assists in cleaning all food service equipment on a regular basis.
- Safely uses cleaning chemicals.
Provide customer service before and during meal periods to ensure availability to meet customer demand, including the following:
- Maintains service and dining areas during meals periods.
- Cleans up spills, keeps floors clear of debris, removes trash.
- Maintains supplies of milk, soda syrup, CO2 and ice.
- Responsible for table and chair set up in dining rooms.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible resolves customers' needs and reports them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Completes daily, weekly and special projects.
- Assists in maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Assists in identifying and solving cleaning and safety problems.
- Puts away deliveries.
- Breaks down cardboard boxes as needed.
- Experience maintaining cleanliness and sanitation in a high volume kitchen/dining area
- Custodial cleaning operation experience, including experience in use of custodial equipment such as buffers and floor machines, power washers, blowers, and vacuum cleaners
- Knowledge of chemicals used in cleaning
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures
- Knowledge of healthy and safe work practices, personal protective equipment (PPEs), and MSDS sheets
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities and sanitation requirements
- Ability to maintain respectful, civil, professional, and customer-friendly behavior
- Excellent customer service skills, which include ability to take customer requests in customer-friendly manner and follow through
- Must have basic English skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and math skills related to the safe and efficient performance of the job
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation
- Basic skill to evaluate, trouble-shoot inquiries, establish priorities, follow plans and complete
Salary & Benefits
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Salary is set at step 1 $18.87
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a partial year career position with a furlough.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27200&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |