The Office of Inclusive Excellence seeks to hire an experienced and highly responsible professional to serve as Senior Staff Assistant for Inclusive Excellence.
The Senior Staff Assistant for Inclusive Excellence reports to the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence and works with a diverse constituency including students, faculty, staff, student groups and alumni to promote inclusive excellence at the University at Buffalo (UB) and assists with implementing UB’s Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan.
Key Accountabilities and responsibilities include:
- Project management and research pertaining to topics and related legislation on inclusive excellence, access, equity and inclusion in higher education and emerging issues and best practices. Draft related research proposals. Assess and evaluate progress towards inclusive excellence goals.
- Design, implement, promote and lead highly sensitive inclusive excellence programs, workshops and events on a wide range of inclusive excellence topics such as search committee training, cultural competency, and implicit bias.
- Generate annual Inclusive Excellence reports, training materials and newsletters.
- Represent the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence at meetings and events.
- Administrative coordination of committees including the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence Leadership Council, the Student Inclusive Excellence Committee, and ad hoc committees as needed.
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
The Office of the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence (VPIX) promotes excellence in all aspects of UB’s operations by facilitating processes that remove barriers to access and advancement on the basis of race, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or veteran status for students, faculty and staff. Excellence-embracing and exhibiting the highest level of quality in research, teaching and service-can be achieved only when diverse perspectives are engaged.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence is responsible for coordinating and monitoring UB’s efforts to institutionalize the culture of equity and inclusion university-wide, which is critical for providing the learning and working environment necessary for achieving excellence in today’s highly globalized and rapidly changing world. We collaborate with academic and administrative offices to create strategies that empower members of the campus community – whether faculty, students or staff – to achieve their full potential, unburdened by barriers to advancement based on stereotypes and bias. We promote equity, inclusion and diversity and integrate inclusive excellence in all aspects of university operations. Additionally, we foster community relationships and engagement to further develop relationships with prospective students, alumni, donors and other friends of the university.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Master’s degree. A strong candidate will have experience working in the area of Inclusive Excellence to promote diversity and inclusion in higher education with experience supporting complex committees and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience dealing with sensitive and highly confidential information is required. The position also requires competency in the following areas;
Excellent oral, written, public speaking and interpersonal skills required.
Strong attention to detail required.
Must be able to interact with a diverse constituency. Computer experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
Must be able to manage competing priorities and demonstrate a commitment to learning new skills as needed.
The ability to make independent decisions related to tasks assigned by utilizing established policies and procedures.
Ph.D. with experience working in higher education in the area of Inclusive Excellence.