Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
DevOps Engineer (7309U) 2750
University of California Berkeley
DevOps Engineer (7309U) 2750
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 1/31/2020
The UC Berkeley Library provides scholarly information to faculty, students, staff and the public in support of the University's research and instruction mission. As one of the largest university libraries in the Unites States we aim to inspire and empower the campus community and to enrich scholarship and better the world. Our partnerships with students, faculty and campus units help the next generation of leaders solve their knowledge quests and contribute to the public and social good.
Library IT (LIT), a department within the Library, provides much of the technological infrastructures supporting our scholarship mission. Library IT has primary responsibility for the Library's Integrated Library System (ILS) and website (Drupal), as well as digital applications and projects. The digital projects are research vehicles that are used by library patrons ranging from UC Berkeley faculty, students, and staff, to other institutions' faculty and graduate students, and the general public. The Library is a leader in the development and implementation of advanced digital library applications and services, including scalable digital library system architectures, efficient methods for creating digital library content, long-term preservation of digital materials, and standards for creating and describing digital objects. Library IT supports these activities by providing business process and technical expertise, writing, enhancing, and maintaining applications to manage the digital object lifecycle, and training staff for projects that add content to our digital library.
The UC Berkeley Library is seeking a DevOps Engineer to help expand access to information through library technology to connect scholars with information and tools. The DevOps Engineer is part of the DevOps unit, reporting to the Head of DevOps in the Library IT department at the UC Berkeley Library.
The UC Berkeley Library Information Technology team offers a flexible work environment, great work-life balance (meaning you can take real vacations without checking emails), and opportunities to collaborate on library and university-wide projects, and opportunities to share code and expertise with the academic library community. This position provides the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to develop and deepen skills in both software development and operations. There is room in the position for a healthy range of tasks and roles, as well as to initiate projects of interest. The University also offers very competitive benefits, including the potential for conference travel and presentations, paid leave, holiday leave and other perks.
This position supports development, deployment, operation, maintenance, documentation, and backup of the Library's applications and the systems that run those applications, including Software as a Service (SAAS) applications. This work includes being responsible for monitoring, tracking and managing system upgrades, and working with developers on deployment of new applications. This position also maintains and supports legacy systems and hardware, working with other team members to migrate physical servers, both Windows and Linux, to virtual environments. The incumbent in the position will develop and design software architecture, implementation, deployment management, development of best operational practices, testing and documentation of systems. It includes automating and streamlining our operations and processes. This position builds and maintains tools for deployment and, monitoring of library platforms and applications. Involved in operational support and system-level administration of the Library's AWS cloud infrastructure, VM infrastructure, and physical servers.
This position works closely with all units in Library IT, as well as central campus IT, to improve, automate, and secure processes related to VM provisioning, application deployment, patching and containerization, monitoring and logging, backup, storage, and disaster recovery, and application networking (e.g., DNS, firewalls, and load balancing). The position will also be applying advanced software concepts, techniques, and objectives to plan, create, maintain, enhance, and operate robust, high-availability services responsive to the evolving needs of UC Berkeley Library stakeholders. These services will provide for the streamlined acquisition, long-term preservation, effective discovery, and practical use of diverse digital resources, applications, and petabyte-scale collections.
Projects may include working with multiple units within the Library, other departments across campus, multiple campuses, the California Digital Library (CDL) and/or external vendors. Guides less experienced staff or works as team or work leader when necessary. Relied on to provide technical expertise to project manager and other Library staff to define system specifications, staffing needs and timeline. Position is relied upon to create specifications, design information architecture, coordinate and work with developers, determine system needs, and follow through with deployment, testing and quality control.
The work includes System Administration, Applications Programming, IT Security and Business Analysis. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Proposes and implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Manages computer servers and makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware.
- Provide analysis, design, and implementation of appropriate system and storage architectures and deployment mechanisms for Library's mission-critical and other library services, evaluating best platform, including AWS-hosted, locally hosted VM, or physical hardware.
- Consulting with project managers and development staff as necessary to understand application requirements, including availability target, fault-tolerant storage, and automation of routine administrative tasks such as code deployment, log rotation, and backup.
- Provide support in monitoring, triaging, and intervening to ensure high performance, high-availability of Library service offerings
- Automate common system administration tasks
- Train developers on deployment processes
- Rearchitects legacy applications to support modern cloud and containerized deployment
- Performs coding and tests/debugs complex programs.
- Collaborate with project manager and developers on diagnosing problems.
- Initiates and oversees changes in development, maintenance and system standards
- Applies IT security concepts to execute complex security controls to prevent hackers from infiltrating Library systems or jeopardizing web-based programs for the Library.
- Coordinate with all LIT teams on routing and exceptional maintenance activities, including security, operating system, and package releases, and patches.
- Researches, analyzes and addresses attempted efforts to compromise security protocols.
- Administers complex security configurations to control access to systems.
- Applies IT security concepts to use applicable encryption methods.
- Provides technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing complex systems and procedures.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary.
- A strong foundation in modern, automated Linux systems administration, including fluency, comfort, and proficiency with the command-line (and scripting).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills when working with both technical and non-technical collaborators.
- Knowledge of applications programming technologies, tools and protocols.
- Experience with key infrastructural technologies, including AWS EC2, MySQL, Linux, Shibboleth, LDAP, and Bash shell scripting.
- Proficient in system administration, maintenance and security of Linux, Windows Operating Systems and System Applications such as Apache, Tomcat, SOLR, etc.
- Familiarity with relevant technologies, including NFS, SMB, object storage, SSL/certificates, Git, and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Saltstack.
- Has skills necessary to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Experience in one or more programming languages; such as Ruby, Python, Perl or Go.
- Familiarity with continuous integration (CI) workflows in a team environment, including version control, code review, automated packaging, testing, and deployment, and instrumentation and monitoring of production systems.
- Knowledge and use of virtualization techniques, VMs, and Docker containers.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently as well as with a team, learn quickly, handle legacy code, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to occasionally work unusual hours on short notice in order to resolve critical problems or comply with maintenance schedules
- Experience developing infrastructure-as-code pipelines using tools such as Ansible, Packer, Terraform, Docker, or Jenkins.
- Working knowledge of applications development targeting Linux environments, proficiency on the command-line, and a basic understanding of networking and security concepts relevant to application deployments.
- Experience installing, upgrading, or configuring third party software packages
- Experience configuring and administering network monitoring utilities like Zenoss, Zabbix, Nagios or other systems.
- Experience and skills in diagnosing and resolving application-level, operating system, database, storage, and networking problems.
- Experience with capacity and performance analysis, configuration and change planning and execution
- Experience in a higher education environment and/or libraries.
Salary & Benefits
$75,400 - $94,000 annually. Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2750&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |