Applications Programmer, School of Education (7300U) - 30166
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Graduate School of Education at the University of California, Berkeley is home to a diverse group of students and faculty joined by their common interests in understanding and improving the complex world of education. We are committed to providing and cultivating the very best in educational scholarship, innovation, and professional leadership. The mission of the Leadership Programs at UC Berkeley is to prepare, induct, and support a diverse community of equity-focused teacher, school, and district leaders who will improve education for vulnerable and historically underserved students in California's public schools in support of social justice.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 9, 2022.
- Plans, designs, develop, modify, debugs, deploys, and evaluates programs written in Node.js/Express for functional areas.
- Analyzes existing software or works to formulate logic for new complex systems and devises complex algorithms.
- Performs complex data analysis and tests /debugs complex software.
- Analyzes the design and use of complex data sources.
- Applies moderately complex programming security practices.
- Negotiates, develops and executes moderately complex test plans.
- Develops conversion and system implementation plans.
- Trains users in conversion and implementation of system.
- Performs complex data modeling, performance and integration testing and builds interfaces for a variety of internal and external constituents.
- Monitors and employs source code control techniques and configuration management.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for approval of system and programming documentation.
- Recommends and implements changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Negotiates with stakeholders on the creation of software specifications.
- Ensures project reports are made.
- Works in a highly collaborative environment.
- Understands and applies industry practices, community standards and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Interacts with senior level internal personnel.
- May serve as technical lead for a software development project of moderate scope.
- Trains users in conversion and implementation of systems.
- Negotiates project plans within a highly collaborative environment.
- Participates in workshops, trainings, and other professional development opportunities.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Thorough knowledge of applications programming in Node.js/Express.
- Advanced skills associated with software design, modification, implementation, and deployment, including object-oriented programming concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs and how systems can support those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop conversion and system implementation plans.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with management on a regular basis.
- Thorough experience with identification and use of code libraries and open-source forums.
- Experience with planning for deployment and creation of feedback mechanisms.
- Demonstrated software repository skills.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Thorough experience with common programming tools.
- Demonstrated ability to follow software specifications.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated broad problem solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute technical narrative to grant proposals.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- School of Education is hiring for two career appointments.
- This is a hybrid position, with 40% remote work eligibility.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=30166&PostingSeq=1