Organizes, coordinates, and administers health services that enhance the health status and education of adult college students. Provides professional nursing services, including case management, to a diverse population of students including those with medical conditions and disabilities. Collaborates with other health care providers and agencies to coordinate health care.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Registered Nurse is a fully qualified and licensed patient care professional. Advancement to this position requires compliance with the stated qualifications, State laws for licensing, and a demonstrated ability to integrate health education, diagnostic, record management, and urgent care services. The Registered Nurse is qualified to observe and document patterns in communicable disease and public health issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Identifies students with health problems that interfere with effective learning. Employs case finding, screening, interviewing, and observation techniques as well as analysis of health records to assess student health status. Refers students with particular needs to appropriate health professionals, campus and/or community resources.
* Compiles health and demographic information from students, noting health history including social, emotional, and environmental aspects.
* Provides urgent nursing care for ill and injured students. Refers patients to local health care providers for more advanced treatment.
* Provides related health care services as mandated by law, according to standardized protocols or prescribed by a physician.
* Evaluates and documents the progress of individual care plans and therapeutic programs, and makes modifications within scope of practice.
* May coordinate and participate in implementing immunization programs.
* Administers immunizations according to medical protocols within safe and appropriate guidelines.
* Conducts physical examinations and screenings in accordance with community college health mandates.
* Participates in implementing programs directed at control of communicable diseases at the campuses. Conducts health education.
* Confers with, participates and cooperates with medical and mental health care providers, public agencies, and campus personnel in formulating appropriate campus health policies and the resolution of student and community health issues.
* Facilitates student access to school, and community resources for health care. Assists students to develop resources and make contact with outside services. Develops resources as appropriate to meet student needs on campus and in the community.
* Maintains professional competence by participating in required in-service education and health education programs designed to maintain healthcare credentials.
* Performs health education and counseling to students. Participates with other health care professionals to develop emergency and individualized care plans and provides referral to other health care professionals. Follows up to monitor progress and compliance with care plans.
* Ensures that health records are maintained up-to-date. Documents all encounters. Observes confidentiality requirements in all patient communications. Writes nursing and/or social summaries.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.