Systems Software Developer, Lead
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelors, masters and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
Enterprise Applications and Systems
Serve as systems architect to strategically design and implement information systems and networked software architectures that support core organizational functions for Information Technology Services. Oversee development environment, strategy and architecture. Provide technical leadership for development team, from strategic decision making to project planning level.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Evaluate, select and gain commitment for systems and software plans
- Serve as lead software developer for custom applications and web environment
- Design websites and custom web pages for units
- Oversee work assignments and tasks of software development team, consisting developers and student workers
- Interface with Core IT for institutional-wide development projects by providing information, answering questions, and developing project timelines to meet customer needs
- Identify and investigate software concerns or maintenance
- Collect, analyze, and summarize information to implement service suggestions, bug fixes and patches to custom applications and web environment
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards
- Analyze, develop, lead, and implement complex computer applications to meet customer needs
- Document and maintain specified areas of application software
- Analyze user requirements, determine technical level of effort estimates, prepare technical design and specifications
- Participate and/or coordinate research of new projects
- Recommend alternation solutions as appropriate
- Develop, test and implement technical solutions. Prepare application test plans and conduct unit, integration and system testing
- Analyze, modify and maintain existing applications
- Provide technical support to functional users. Coordinate communications with vendors when appropriate for problem resolution
- Prepare technical, operational and user related documentation in support of applications
- Participate in development of standards and guidelines
- Ensure compliance of all standards and guideline
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Three (3) or more years in similar technical position
- OR combination of five (5) years experience and technical certifications
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Familiarity with regulatory policies and procedures such as HIPAA, PCI, and FERPA
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, information technology or related field
- Five (5) years of experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with enterprise and/or line-of-business applications
- Experience with higher education systems
Commensurate with Experience
Required Documents to Attach
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to work well in a diverse environment
- Ability to work independently in development and testing of applications
- Ability to learn new technical platforms and tools
- Work as part of a team
- Ability to establish personal networks
- Ability to benchmark state-of-the-art practices and products
- Passionate, honest, positive, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to use independent judgment
- Ability to meet deadlines, often under pressure
- Manage competing demands and adapt to frequent changes
- Learn and adapt to new technologies and interpret to provide solutions for customer needs or issues
- Remain current on technology changes to respond quickly to customer issues
- Articulate strategy and ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Negotiate and work with vendors and consultants
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Understanding of procedures and willingness to follow University policies to meet institutional goals
- Knowledge of database design and associated software/programming languages
- Knowledge of Network Administration: Novell, TCP/IP, file sharing and FT
- Knowledgeable about various hardware and software systems, integrated systems, and event driven programs
Apply Before Date
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and human relation skills
- Professional experience using common web development languages and frameworks such Python/Django/Flask
- Experience working with web, application and database servers, such as Apache, Nginx, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle
- Git or other distributed version control systems
- Experience integrating open source and commercial systems using APIs and REST web services
- Skilled in programming languages appropriate for environment
- Experience with application development tools, processes and systems development life cycle
- Proven agility and experience with operating systems for PC and Mac
- Experience with managing and maintaining virtual servers on VMware vCenter Infrastructure and Public IaaS
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Divisional application servers and information systems
Applications will begin review December 11, 2020 until job is filled.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work in well-lit offices in comfortable surroundings or in computer laboratories
- Occasionally work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines or solve unexpected technical problems
- Susceptible to eye strain, back discomfort and hand and wrist problems
- Work is performed under stressful conditions in an environment where work schedule changes unexpectedly
- Must be able to respond by changing their own schedule without prior notice in many cases
- Employee may be required to walk to various locations on campus
- May be required to sit for long periods of time
- May be required to lift up to 25 lbs. with or without accommodation
- Required to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously under pressure of deadlines and working in a fast paced information technology environment
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=222323&PostingSeq=1