Under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of Data Governance or assigned administrator, the ETL Analyst/Data Modeler has responsibilities in the planning, design, development, maintenance and ongoing support of the university-wide enterprise dimensional data warehouse including but not limited to finance, human resources, student, instruction, research, financial aid, admissions, and student success.
The position is responsible for developing ETL solutions primarily utilizing industry standard technologies. In this capacity, the developer will perform source system analysis to identify potential data quality issues, develop required ETL mappings to stage and integrate data to specifications while providing complete documentation, test plans and results. The ETL developer will also be responsible for monitoring the ETL processes by building build alerts and sensors necessary to maintain the data integrity and notify the internal teams if issues arise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan, build, develop, and implement architectural improvements to the structure and function of the university data warehouse.
2. Responsible for ensuring that the ETL framework is extensible, adheres to industry standards, and is maintainable and operational with minimum manual intervention.
3. Ensure that logical data warehouse database design fulfills functional and technical requirements by partnering with user groups and developing a clear understanding of the analytics insights that need to be delivered.
4. Serve as a subject matter expert for all data contained within the data warehouse.
5. Diligently identify and pursue data anomalies to ensure the highest level of data integrity.
6. Create, implement and enforce standard operating procedures, recommend policies and processes for existing and new services within the defined function/scope for enterprise data warehousing.
7. Develop systems and procedures to ensure the availability and reliability of the University’s enterprise business intelligence environment including installation and upgrades of the BI environment.
8. Perform the unit testing, system integration testing and assist with user acceptance testing.
9. Adapt ETL code to accommodate changes in source data and new business requirements.
10. Monitor data warehouse servers; resolve system problems or escalate appropriately for timely technical support.
11. Participate in the review and definition of assigned functional areas, processes and procedures regarding requirements, organization and flow of data, methods, forms and reports.
12. Design, develop and modify relational and multidimensional database structures, relationships, data flows and data interfaces within the data warehouse as needed.
13. Assist with the development, preparation or modification of technical standards, technical manuals, user documentation, operational procedures and system performance objectives.
14. Train and support users in the use of new or existing applications; encourage technological competence and confidence throughout the institution.