Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Cal Adventures Dockmaster (4128U), Recreational Sports - 40779
University of California, Berkeley
Cal Adventures Dockmaster (4128U), Recreational Sports - 40779
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
How do you define a quality life? Recreational Sports helps each individual pursue that answer by providing a wide variety of fitness and wellness programs. Supporting this larger mission requires a focus on daily activities, consistent values, and the continual pursuit of a long-term vision. We're committed to providing an atmosphere and an environment that is accessible, accommodating, and inclusive for a wide range of people and a wide range of abilities.
The Department of Recreational Sports offers members of the UC Berkeley community an extraordinary experience to live active and meaningful lives while on campus.
Programs and services range from group fitness, aquatics, adventure trips, drop-in fitness and recreation, intramural sports, sport clubs, personal training, WorkFit, and many other activities. Recreational Sports is enhanced by its indoor and outdoor facilities, including three indoor locations, four pools, five tennis courts, and an outdoor adventure center at the Berkeley Marina.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 23, 2022.
- Provides advanced or specialized activity support to program participants and rental customers, individually or in groups.
- Provides land and water support to keep customers safe on and off the water in remote locations and under moderate to occasional severe outdoor conditions.
- Maintains a supportive environment for program participants and facilitates involvement.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive manner.
- May lead other dockhands and provide guidance and instruction to other program instructors on best practices, procedures, methods and techniques on program and survival activities.
- May certify participants in various activities.
- Keeps current on teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education and certification.
- Participates in required professional development activities.
- Has advanced knowledge of program activity.
- Position requires work leadership and inter-personal skills for those in a lead capacity, and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally.
- Service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem-solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn campus policies and procedures.
- Certification to instruct in the applicable recreational sports program or equivalent experience preferred.
- Red Cross CPR preferred.
- Standard First Aid Training Certification preferred.
- High school diploma and/or equivalent training, certification or experience preferred.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Recreational Sports is hiring for seven (7) Cal Adventures Dockmaster positions.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=40779&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |