Access Service Supervisor, Library (6286U) 1707 - 1707
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 2, 2019
The Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF) is a cooperative high-density shelving facility for library materials belonging to the UC libraries in California. It is one of two shared facilities developed to store, preserve, and provide access to low-use library collections. It is administered by the UCB Library. The Deposit Services and the Access Services units are administrative units at the NRLF.
- This position is responsible for the hiring, training and supervision of up to 5 FTE student employees and temporary library assistants who perform a variety of stack maintenance and departmental duties, and assist with collections management projects as well as processing new deposits.
- Responsible for the day-to-day activities of the employees and quality of work produced.
- Performs interlibrary lending, circulation, and document delivery services, and assists library users at the public service desk.
- Participates in space organization and management activities to achieve optimal storage capacity in all shelving modules.
- Performs basic preservation and stacks maintenance tasks; initiates and oversees shelf checks and searches.
- Serves as work-leader in the Access Services department and maintains the daily work schedule to ensure adequate coverage of all departmental and stack duties.
- Collects a variety of departmental statistics.
- Assists the unit head in resolving ILL billing issues.
- Assists in the development and revision of procedural guidelines and instructional materials.
- Effective supervisory/workleader experience and demonstrated leadership skills
- Minimum 1 year academic library experience in interlibrary lending and/or circulation
- Experience searching & interpreting bibliographic records
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and decision-making ability
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to interact with a diverse community of students, faculty, visitors and staff; excellent listening skills
- Demonstrated commitment to providing quality public service and ability to meet the demands at a circulation desk, deal with challenging situations and meet deadlines despite competing priorities
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of stack maintenance practices and preservation principles.
- Demonstrated experience using document scanners, microfilm readers, and other library-related equipment
- Must be able to move carts & book trucks loaded up to 480 lbs.; lift & bend with boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs.; climb and reach on stepstools and rolling ladders.
- Ability to operate motorized man-aboard lifts to reach 30 ft. high shelves.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training/experience
- Experience hiring, training, and supervising student employees
- Experience with Millennium ILS, OCLC's WorldShare ILL, and Melvyl
- Experience with document delivery and basic technical knowledge of book scanning/digitization processes
- Experience using MS Office & Adobe Acrobat
Salary & Benefits
Hiring Range: $46,100 - $66,200 annually. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 100% FTE, career appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1707&PostingSeq=1