The Director of Internal Auditing will lead the Internal Audit Office in planning, directing, establishing and maintaining a challenging work environment for the audit staff in terms of established goals and objectives for the dynamic and diverse University setting; and serve in an advisory capacity to University management. This position will design audit programs based on assessed risks and report on identified errors and control deficiencies. This position will conduct follow-up of action items to ensure effective and appropriate resolution of audit recommendations. Ensure that an effective internal audit function is in place for the institution with a focus on adding value and improving the institutional operations, risk management, control and governance processes. This position provides strategic audit, risk assessment in compliance with professional and governmental auditing standards, and assist executive management in accomplishing its mission goal and objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts operational, financial, compliance and basic information systems audits to include evaluating effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls, preparing audit work papers in an automated system, applying professional audit techniques, documenting findings, and recommending solutions to findings. Adheres to and conducts audits in accordance with The Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, the UNC System Internal Audit Systems and Auditing Operating Procedures.
- Reports findings to the University management to include result of audits, recommendation based on audit findings and any other pertinent data.
- Resolves special problems such as litigation support, federal and state laws and regulations, fraud investigations, and responding to complaints and inquiries. Provides advice and guidance on control aspects of new policies, systems and business processes and procedures.
- Manages all office functions, reviews work paper and reports for adequacy and accuracy, and provides guidance and work instructions for internal auditors.
- Promotes a culture of accountability and ethics through presentations and consultations. Acting as a representative on various institution committees and task forces, which affect the internal control environment.