Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Athletics - Physical Education and Campus Recreation, the part-time Fitness and Wellness Coordinator is responsible for supervising student workers and overseeing the operations of the fitness center and group exercise training room.
- Manage the reservation system in DSE for fitness and wellness registration.
- Appropriate training in proper use of fitness center equipment for patrons as needed.
- Assist with developing and programming group exercise classes.
- Supervise wellness and group exercise instructors.
- Maintain wellness and fitness related schedules, records, and reports.
- Assist in the development of marketing campaigns to promote a healthy lifestyle and participation in fitness or wellness programs.
- Instruct wellness or fitness classes as needed.
- Supervise and monitor student staff.
- Conduct regular training sessions for fitness center staff.
Facility & Risk Management
- Responsible for managing and supervising the operation of the university fitness center and group fitness studio.
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings.
- Perform general inspection of equipment and report issues or needed repairs.
- Monitor the cleaning schedule and ensure cleaning supplies are available to student staff.
- Advocate and maintain a culture and environment that promotes the overall well-being of the Stevens community.
- Create an environment that promotes and facilitates student learning and development.
- Provide excellent customer service to all fitness and wellness patrons.
- Actively participate in student/staff development programs including new employee orientation, the annual employee training program, and ongoing training sessions and in-services.
- Assist with planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating on-going departmental special events.
- Maintain professional skill sets and certifications as appropriate for job requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree is required and master’s degree in Exercise Science, Physical Education, Health Promotion, Recreation, or related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in planning, coordinating, supervising, and evaluating fitness facilities, staff, and programs.
- Strong background/experience in teaching group exercise classes; scientific and practical knowledge of personal training; and performing fitness assessments.
- Knowledge of and ability to teach proper use and techniques of all fitness equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, including written, interpersonal, and public speaking.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently, multi-task, be resourceful, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses
- Current group fitness and personal training certifications through one or more of the following: ACSM, NSCA, ACE or AFAA.
- Skilled in use of personal computers and related software (Microsoft Office/365, Excel & BOX).
- CPR/First Aid/AED
Stevens values diversity and seeks candidates who can contribute to a welcoming climate for students, faculty and staff of all races and genders. We are an NSFa ADVANCE institution committed to equitable practices and policies and strongly encourage applications from qualified women and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Wellness and Club Sports
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police