About Orange Coast College (OCC)
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African- American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Organizes, designs, and leads comprehensive research processes, program sequences, and studies. Designs and conducts tests, advanced analysis, and validation from various unique sources, and other sequenced research steps using accepted-to-novel study designs and testing/research methodologies. Organizes and coordinates tests of research work and data provided by peers, verifies significance and quality of data, and prepares validation reports.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Senior Research Analyst is the third professional level in a career path for education data collection, research, and test validation. Research Associates begin the career path and will learn and apply clearly defined program and research design procedures, conduct surveys, design data structures, and analyze statistical information. Research Analyst requires at least two years of experience at the equivalent to an Associate, expanded knowledge of project and study design, research procedures, the ability to design and coordinate program steps to meet standards and outcomes, ability to perform difficult academic assessments using statistical inferences and research literature prepared by others, and coordinate preparation of data-driven reports. The Senior Research Analyst requires a master's degree, three years of experience at the equivalent to an Analyst, and an expanded ability to perform program or study design, and used advanced research, statistical, and survey methods and procedures. Senior Research Analysts are capable of, and will generally administer research or data management projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* The Senior Research Analyst develops and applies best practices in leadership of program design, data management, statistical analysis, research, test validation, and survey environments.
* Coordinates, conducts, and participates in education research studies in support of institutional effectiveness and decision making. Research studies include but not limited to student achievement, outcomes, demographics, and institutional characteristics.
* Participates in, and may coordinate, viability studies for programs and outcomes grants and other funding. Researches funding and resource availability. Participates in developing strategies and proposals to access funding for programs and initiatives.
* Creates study and evaluation designs to measure project outcomes to established goals and hypotheses. Sets up tests of predetermined design to analyze research results and data performed and documented by others. Sequences the steps for setting up tests of academic and demographic facts.
* Designs and develops data collection tools and measurement instruments and procedures including tests, surveys, rating scales, observation recordings, and structured interview worksheets. Trains and provides technical support to faculty, staff and management on data collection, recording methods, and measurements of outcomes.
* Designs and develops custom, integrated spreadsheet and database templates for inputting, accumulating, formatting, and organizing program data. Develops web-based portals to enter, edit, and transmit information.
* Oversees and prepares data analysis, merging and transforming files and data, and identification of outliers for further study. Performs routine statistical tests as required for the assigned project, program, or study, and to answer questions.
* Performs quality assurance of research and empirical data such as its source, sampling techniques, format, and accuracy of data transmittal. Conducts statistical inquiry and may develop research investigative procedures.
* Writes research reports containing descriptive, analytical, and evaluative content. Describes, organizes, analyzes, and presents academic assessment data and evaluations using descriptive inferential statistics and deductive and inductive reasoning.
* Conducts research of best and evident-based practices used in education and related industries. Researches and analyzes external report findings, trends in education, community characteristics, and translates implications to current work.
* Recommends strategies or proposals for grant development, and composes proposed program/project objectives, work plans, cost-of-service, and measurable outcomes.
* Initiates and coordinates surveys to gather academic, demographic, and other institutional information for use in analytics for both the District and its Colleges. Participates in preparing survey summaries and other documentation.
* Sets up 'evaluation' routines to assess the work-in-progress and outcomes of other programs and projects. Prepares and reviews reports with project leaders.
* Develops and maintains collaborative partnerships/working relationships with District and campus personnel.
* Using established enterprise reporting tools, develop queries for data extraction, reporting, and analysis, with an emphasis on automatization. May include identification of data structures and sources, validation of data, and/or original programming using SQL or other programming languages.
* Provides data for compliance reporting to state and federal agencies, with an emphasis on developing consistent and compliant reporting procedures.
* Develops and/or facilitates the design of assessment tools and measures for program assessment and review, including assessment of student learning.
* Provides support to the college's strategic and operational planning processes, including training, process management, and evaluation, and assisting departments with the development of strategies and goals.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.