Recreation Program Instructor 1 (4127U) 17417
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides student housing, residential programs and dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, as well as childcare services for students, faculty and staff.
University Village Family Housing complex, located in Albany, CA includes 974 student family apartments in 70 apartment buildings plus numerous common areas such as laundries, administrative offices Community Center, Academic Center, gymnastics building (app bay) , ECEP, etc.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 28, 2021
- Facilitates in providing activities to program participants and visitors, individually or in groups.
- Maintains a supportive environment for program participants and facilitate involvement.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive manner.
- Develops knowledge of communication methods, techniques and skills through continuing education.
- Assists in activity facilitation to program participants, individually or in groups. Maintains a supportive environment for program participants and facilitates involvement. Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive manner. Develops knowledge of teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education. Participates in required professional development activities. Areas may include: art, drama, music, gymnastics, science, sports, language arts, dance, aerial arts, circus arts, gardening/cooking
- Knowledge of program activity practices and procedures.
- Requires strong verbal and written communication, active listening, dynamic flexibility.
- Able to exercise sound judgment and employ reasoning skills.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Knowledge of or ability to gain knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- May work in fitness and outdoor programs.
- Red Cross CPR Certified
- Standard First Aid Training Certification
- Certification to instruct in the applicable recreational sports program or equivalent experience
- Previous experience working in a diverse recreational setting
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time (8 hrs per week) Contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=17417&PostingSeq=1