Custodial Supervisor (5187U) - 29598
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community.
Custodial Services offers housekeeping services to public space, offices, labs and classrooms.
The Custodial unit provides a range of cleaning maintenance and event support across the UC Berkeley campus. It provides support for more than 11 million square feet of building space, as well as athletic and auxiliaries spaces.
Our team of professional employees supports the University's mission by providing quality services for and management of physical assets and the stewardship of resources in accordance with University policies, values, regulatory requirements, and best practice standards. The team provides service to all campus areas including classrooms, athletic facilities, wet and dry laboratories and public spaces.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 2, 2022
- Supervises the daily activities of custodial employees.
- Responsible for the day-to-day delivery of services to the incumbent's area.
- The incumbent's duties include supervising a staff of approximately 26 - 34 people assigning and reviewing work, assuring that work quality and work-frequency standards are met.
- Fosters positive relations with clients assuring that staff have the supplies and equipment needed to do their jobs, training staff with respect to safe work practices and proper use of equipment and products, evaluating employee performance, and participating in the progressive discipline of staff.
- Assigns work orders to appropriate crew leaders.
- Responds to complaints and requests from clients.
- Meets with clients regularly to review service delivery and clients' concerns.
- Keeps clients informed with respect to changes in staffing and service delivery.
- Reports job related injuries and illnesses according to established procedures.
- Develops and monitors modified assignments for injured or ill employees.
- Assures that employees submit proper medical documentation when injured or ill.
- Responsible for performance management.
- Counsels employees concerning performance
- and other problems.
- Documents problems and counseling sessions.
- Keeps supervisor informed of problems and recommends disciplinary action.
- Helps manage discipline cases.
- Evaluates performance of all of the incumbent's staff annually.
- Recommends merit increases and merit-bonus awards.
- Maintains scheduling within prescribed budgetary guidelines.
- Submits payroll information for all of the incumbent's employees online.
- Reports time worked on jobs on-line.
- Approves and schedules vacation leave for subordinates.
- Serves as a member of Custodial Services' management team.
- Collects data, fill ins for subordinates in their absence, and performs other duties as needed.
- Plans, organizes and directs routine custodial operations.
- Assures that work is done on time and to standard.
- Works with crew leaders to resolve service-delivery problems.
- Participates in Quality Assurance Program by performing inspections according to set schedule.
- Trains and supervises the custodial staff to maintain an orderly, safe, and efficient cleaning operation.
- Assures that employees are trained with respect to custodial methods that only authorized equipment and products are used and that they are used properly, and that employees observe safe work practices.
- Assures that safety training is conducted monthly.
- Submits training reports to supervisor and Facilities Services safety officer.
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment.
- Tests new equipment and products.
- Makes recommendations with respect to adding same to the program.
- Maintains proper inventory needs and purchase inventory.
- Enforces safety, hazardous materials and custodial policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Maintains file of Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Reports safety hazards and vandalism.
- Requests services from other Facilities Services units via the web server.
- Enforces biohazardous materials and equipment and clean room policies and procedures.
- Enforces proper handling and mixture of chemicals.
- Advance knowledge in custodial and housekeeping services.
- Supervisor or Lead experience
- Motivating performance
- Knowledgeable in controlling resources.
- Expert knowledge in diagnosing problems and designing solutions to complex social issues that are common in housekeeping.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand written custodial department policies and procedures, safety policies and procedures, and other University policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions related to maintenance and custodial operations, and the ability to train others in these areas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language, active listening, flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management.
- Working knowledge of and ability for decision making, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve
- problems, and perform operations analysis, and quality control analysis.
- Working knowledge and skill in effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
- Ability to effectively work with staff and students from diverse backgrounds and who speak multiple languages Basic computer skills with the ability to learn new programs and hardware.
- Blood born pathogen and sharps disposal training.
- Certification and/or equivalent experience/ training to be considered in the subject matter of housekeeping.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range $47,300.00 - $67,900.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive."
This is a full-time, Career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29598&PostingSeq=1