Administrative Assistant/Event Specialist (4722C), Haas School of Business - 1835 - 1835
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 14, 2019
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all.
Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
Administrative Support/Project Management:
- Provide administrative and project management support to the Deans office, Sr. Assistant Dean/COO, and the Sr. Assistant Dean for Instruction.
- Track and manage projects as directed by Assistant Deans.
- Manage and coordinate the Assistant Deans' calendars ensuring that meetings are scheduled and cancelled based on knowledge of the subject and attendees.
- Ensure that all necessary documentation relating to meetings, including information on attendees, are organized and brought to the Assistant Deans in a timely manner, such as agendas, briefing notes, handouts, etc.
- Coordinate and make complex travel, hotel, and meal reservations for the Assistant Deans and visitors.
- Obtain paper mail items on a daily basis and alert Assistant Deans of important, timely letters.
- Copy/ Scanning.
- FedEx, incoming and outgoing mail.
- Ordering supplies, books, etc.
- Make copies and distribute outgoing correspondences as instructed.
- Make phone calls and send email messages on behalf of the Assistant Deans.
- Coordinating interviewing process for various searches(ED positions, Financial Analyst positions, etc.) schedule phone screening, schedule in person interviews and writing samples, collect feedback from interview panels, compile feedback for search committee
- Monitor Budgets: providing chart-string when requested / approved chart string owner.
- Provide support with Dean's Office events including set up/wrap up and greeting visitors, e.g. Town Hall, Retreats, Senior Leadership Team, etc.
- Room reservations, agendas, prep/distribute materials.
- Serve as back up to team of Deans' office Administrative Support during intermittent outages.
- Perform accounting tasks using the Berkeley Financial System (BFS).
- Travel and Entertainment, Reimbursement requests must be submitted promptly, with the appropriate follow-up to ensure completion.
- Accounts payable and Accounts receivable
Travel and Reimbursements:
- Collect receipts from the Assistant Deans and process the reimbursement following current campus procedures.
- Using the T&E system, taking into the complex regulations for foreign travel, currency conversion, etc.
- Enter the expenditure information using BFS, ensuring use of the correct chart string, and forward it for approval.
- Differentiate among the appropriate fields for travel expenses.
- Call help-desk for advice, and share solutions with other staff.
- Help Assistant Deans manage acccounts - track expenses and provide summaries of accounts as requested.
- Serve as person for processing purchase orders associate with Dean's Office events.
- Work closely with the Dean's Office receptionist/event planner to ensure the timely processing of invoices.
- Work on special programs as assigned.
- Attend classes which will enhance expertise in job areas.
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate.
- Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service.
- Maintain knowledge of (unit name) business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Experience providing high level administrative support, including complex electronic calendaring & scheduling/coordinating of multiple calendars for senior leadership.
- Experience with AR/AP and Travel Reimbursement processes and best practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to outstanding customer service exercising good judgement and decision making.
- Practice and prioritize confidentiality as needed.
- Demonstrated good written and verbal communications skills, with excellent interpersonal skills and strong collaboration skills.
- Proficient skills using MS office Suite, Google Suite in a PC or Mac environment and demonstrating the willingness and ability to learn the new environment.
- Must have excellent attention to detail including the ability to accept detail tasks verbally.
- Must be able to handle the coordination of multiple events/tasks and prioritize work.
- Ability to work in a diverse community partnering with staff, students and leadership.
- UC campus experience.
- A thorough understanding of University policies and procedures.
- Experience with the Berkeley Financial System (BFS).
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $24.17 - $29.95, Steps 1.0 -10.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1835&PostingSeq=1