The Auburn University Plant Diagnostic Laboratory with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System is seeking applicants for a Laboratory Technician.
This is a 1-year, limited term appointment. Continuation of employment is contingent upon availability of funds.
The primary duties of this position are to provide technical support with plant disease and insect diagnostics at the Plant Diagnostic Lab. The successful applicant will be expected to perform biological, chemical, and serological tests on plant, insect, and soil samples. They will also be responsible for preparing chemical reagents and biological media, compiling laboratory records, and maintaining laboratory equipment. The lab technician will have high levels of interaction with Plant Diagnostic Laboratory clientele.
Perform routine and specialized disease diagnostic lab tests on plant and insect samples: culture isolation, microscopy, ELISA, PCR, and pathogenicity testing.
- Record and communicate lab analysis results to Diagnosticians, faculty, and occasionally clients.
- Compile diagnostic data for monthly and annual reporting.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, maintain lab materials and supply availability for daily work demands, and assist in organization of lab.
- Sample data entry and data management (using web-based data management software program).
- Maintain a limited collection of fungal and bacterial plant pathogen cultures.
- Assist with preparation of materials for lab tours, workshops, and preparation of Extension presentations or projects.
- Instruct students and others on testing methods and procedures.
- Prepare media and reagents required for diagnostic assays, sterilize equipment, sterilize samples and cultures for disposal, and maintain laboratory chemical inventory.
- Assist with other laboratory activities including insect and nematode sample processing.