FFECC NTTP PT
Posting Closing Date:
April 15, 2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position supports the Dental Hygiene Department. The work involves performing para-professional tasks assisting the faculty of a Community College. The incumbent’s duties are varied and range from setting up equipment in laboratories to tutoring students in developmental centers. The tasks assigned are generally of a supportive nature and may be performed in the classroom, laboratory, research or development center, learning center, or computer center. The work is performed under general supervision of an instructor or other faculty member. Supervision may be exercised over students or clerical assistants; does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assists and supports students, faculty and patients in the daily activities of the Dental Hygiene Clinic;
- Answers telephone calls, screens and appoints/reschedules patients; takes and relays messages to faculty and students, as applicable;
- Performs check-in of patients at the beginning of each clinic time and lets the student know of the arrival of their patient through the Eagle soft system;
- Provides general information of the services offered at the Dental Hygiene Clinic to callers; deals with queries from the public and customers;
- Sends radiographic images to private offices or other healthcare facilities as requested. Uses encrypted email methods to transmit patient’s dental records. Assist the radiology faculty with printing/transmitting radiographic images;
- Supports students in the transmittal of Medical Consult forms to other health care providers. Informs the students when a Medical Consult is returned via mail and/or fax
- Maintains a list of new/recare patients to be scheduled with students;
- Participates with students and faculty in the planning of, but not limited to, Give Kids A Smile Day, Special Care Day, Screening Sessions;
- Reminds patients to fill out the Patient Satisfaction Survey;
- Performs 100% chart audits as per Quality Assurance plan;
- Develops/revises a Front Desk Manual, as necessary;
- Sets up calendar in Eagle Soft, blocking student chairs as requested by faculty and Department Head;
- Arranges for signage advertising of the clinic with the PR Department;
- Maintains current HIPAA and PHI knowledge; applies principles of confidentiality during all aspects of clinical duties;
- Is a member of the Quality Assurance Committee and participates in meetings for the development, revisions and implementation of clinical procedures and policies;
- Provides clerical support to students and faculty as assigned by the Department Head;
- Is cross-trained on clinical and sterilization duties as per clinical needs;
- Provides support to the Clinical Technical Assistant(s) as requested by the Department Head;
- Stays current in daily operational activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Candidates must be able to demonstrate awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusive and diverse environment.
- Previously worked in an educational dental/dental hygiene environment;
- Knowledge of dental terminology and Eagle soft software application;
- Knowledge of general administrative and clerical duties;
- Working knowledge of dental terminology, HIPAA regulations, use of Eagle soft;
- Physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Completion of thirty (30) semester credit hours of study at a regionally accredited college or university, which should include course work in the dental field; mandatory infection control training and BLS/CPR certification. Three (3) years of recent full-time experience in a dental facility is highly preferred. Outstanding public relations and interpersonal skills as well as computer applications in the dental office are desired.
- Work experience may be considered in lieu of 30 semester credit hours of study;
- Dental Assisting or Dental Hygiene degree highly preferred;
- At least one (1) experience providing front desk support in dental setting.
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At SUNY Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 851-1840 with any questions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
SUNY Erie Community College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or in the administration of any of its policies and programs on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran status, criminal conviction, or any other characteristics protected by law. This applies to all students, applicants or other members of the College community (including, but not limited to, vendors and visitors). Grievance procedures are available to interested persons by contacting the Civil Rights Compliance Officer listed below. Retaliation against a person who files a complaint, serves as a witness, or assists or participates in the investigation of a complaint in any manner is strictly prohibited.
The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s non-discrimination policies:
Civil Rights Compliance Officer
Tracy Archie, Chief Diversity Officer
Office of Equity and Diversity
City Campus, Room 174, 121 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, please contact:
New York Office
United States Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights, 32 Old Slip 26th Floor,
New York, N.Y., 10005-25010;
Tel (646) 428-3800; Email: mailto:OCR.NewYork@ed.govOCR.NewYork@ed.gov.