The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1985, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral, and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. In addition, the hospital creates a positive learning experience for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University students and student technicians.
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
What You'll Do
The Surgery Department is looking for a veterinary technician who is passionate about their career and will enjoy being part of fast-paced, progressive team.
This outpatient surgery vet technician will primarily support our outstanding outpatient service and will assist with all aspects of outpatient surgery from outpatient appointments outpatient procedures, and patient treatments and discharge.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a reference point for clients and RDVMs’ for updates, questions and follow up
- Facilitate the flow of clients and patients between reception, exam rooms, radiology, and surgical procedure rooms.
- Administer injections, oral and topical medicine.
- Assist with medical record documentation
- Prepare estimates, daily treatment plan and anesthesia requests as directed.
- Ensure efficiency of the outpatient surgery team consisting of faculty, residents, interns, students and staff to consistently project the highest level of patient care, customer service, and professionalism.
- Maintain cleanliness of exam and outpatient procedure rooms.
The position offers opportunities to work directly with owners and the pets they love in a diverse and inclusive environment.
What We're Looking For
- Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology or a high school diploma (or the equivalent)
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a fast paced veterinary hospital
- High emotional intelligence and team player
- Engaged learner; Highly motivated to improve your knowledge base and skill set
- Understanding of medical terminology and familiarity with veterinary pharmacology
- Demonstrated aptitude in technical abilities such as patient restraint, venipuncture and IV catheter placement
- Willingness to coach and train students
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a diverse team
- Pride in maintaining assigned areas in a hospital environment.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system as well as the radiation therapy software and hardware.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution in Veterinary Technology or other animal biology related field plus two years related work experience
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Technician
- Advanced education and experience with Veterinary Technician Specialist