Lab Assistant (9603C) - 27327
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 2, 2019
The Department of Integrative Biology (IB) offers Undergraduate and Graduate academic programs as well as Faculty Research that focuses on the integration of structure and function that influences the biology, ecology, and evolution of organisms. It investigates integration at all levels of organization from molecules to the biosphere, and in all branches of the tree of life: plants, animals, fungi, and microbes.
Our lab focuses on the processes that have shaped the evolution of sex chromosomes and the emergence of new species. We integrate data from a variety of fields, such as population biology, comparative and functional genomics, developmental genetics, chromatin biology, epigenetics, and aging.
- Assistance with ordering of lab reagents and equipment.
- Assist with maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Update general lab recipes and lab protocols.
- General upkeep of common areas.
- Preparation of buffers, media and general solutions.
- Wash and autoclave dishes.
- Routine DNA and RNA Manipulations (Large and small DNA/RNA preparations.
- Assist with cloning (restriction digests and ligations).
- Assist with DNA sequencing, Assist with PCR and gene expression assays.
- Next generation DNA and RNA library preps).
- Chromatin immuno-precipitation assays.
- Assist with chromosome in situ hybridization.
- Growth & Maintenance of lab Drosophila stocks.
- Order and pick up needed fly food.
- Make fly food, Transfer flies to fresh vials.
- Monitor health of cultures.
- Routine fly work (sort flies, collect virgins, set up crosses, transfer stocks).
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Familiarity with basic microbiological and sterile Techniques.
- Skill to follow multi-step assays and procedures.
- Skill to culture and handle Drosophila.
- Skill to use standard lab equipment such as ultracentrifuge, microscope, etc.
- Knowledge of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and the hazard communication and Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety precautions including appropriate clothing and shoes, safe handling of chemicals, use of protective items such as gloves and goggles.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication.
- Skills to communicate research endeavors, to follow written and oral instructions and to collaborate on various projects.
- Skill to prepare and maintain various laboratory records and notebooks.
- Familiarity with standard molecular biology techniques.
- Familiarity with computers.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision and to work closely with others.
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Salary & Benefits
- Familiarity with bioinformatics software for sequence manipulation and analysis.
- Familiarity with sequence databases, including BLAST tools.
- Background handling Drosophila and cell cultures.
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27327&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1