Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website it.tufts.edu
What You'll Do
The Datacom Services Project Manager provides day-to-day project management service across the University for numerous telecommunication and data communication infrastructure and construction related projects. Responsibilities of the position include: Planning, preparing, and distributing RFQ’s and RFP’s; Reviewing bids for accuracy and qualifying bidders; Designing and preparing other various project documents, such as floor plans with telecom outlet locations and telecom room layout; Working with others in the Network Services and Datacom Services groups to request the purchase of and the installation of any necessary equipment, such as wireless access points, networking switches, etc.; Quality control and process improvement including conducting audits and site visits to ensure that the Tufts Tel/Data Standards and Wiring Specifications are met.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Skills and knowledge typically acquired through a High School Diploma with 5+ years of experience managing telecommunication and data communication cabling projects, designing and implementing copper twisted pair and fiber optic outside and inside plant cabling, and horizontal structured cabling.
• Experience working with 3rd party vendors to coordinate existing and new services.
• Licenses needed: BICSI RCDD, Valid Driver’s License
• Ability to distinguish between different colors, interpret and prepare drawings, blue prints and schematics, experience with different data, phone and CATV network infrastructures, topologies and equipment.
• Comprehensive experience using Microsoft Office, Visio, and AutoCAD to prepare project design prints.
• Comprehensive knowledge of current TIA and BICSI standards, and the National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code. Experience sizing and coordinating UPS installations.
• Comprehensive experience with aerial and underground cabling design, installation, and construction best practices.
• Proven ability to succeed in a fast, multi-task environment.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Bachelors or Associate’s Degree in related in field
• Design of cable support systems - equipment cabinets and associated wiring and cable management hardware
• Design of pathway and termination equipment including; cable tray, racks, conduits, cable supports, wire managers, etc.
• Understanding of Wireless and VoIP networking and cellular telecommunication technologies
• Comprehensive knowledge of electrical and electronic theory
• Comprehensive knowledge of test equipment and tools required for the maintenance of communication equipment
• Comprehensive understanding of UPS operation and maintenance
• Must be a self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills and able to work with a minimum of supervision
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.