Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Assistant Public Records Coordinator (7398U), Office of Legal Affairs 40746
University of California, Berkeley
Assistant Public Records Coordinator (7398U), Office of Legal Affairs 40746
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The UC Berkeley Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) offers timely legal advice to campus leadership, faculty and staff, seeks to anticipate and offer creative solutions to legal problems, works to resolve legal disputes, and advocates on behalf of the campus. OLA also serves as liaison between the campus and the UC Office of General Counsel(link is external) in Oakland. OLA strives to be a valued and trusted partner, recognized for creativity, expertise, service orientation, and commitment to UC Berkeley's mission and values.
Working under the supervision of the Public Records Coordinator, the incumbent processes and responds to public records requests and subpoenas in accordance with the California Public Records Act (CPRA), California Information Practices Act (CIPA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), other related statutes, and University of California (UC) policies. Responsibilities are based on statutory and UC Policy requirements, are compliance focused and time driven, and often involve matters of importance.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 25, 2022
- Processes public records requests and subpoenas by utilizing high-level critical thinking to resolve any issues.
- Determines and assesses the scope of request, assists requesters to make a narrow and focused request, and issues responses.
- Logs and monitors public records requests and subpoenas. Performs outreach to departments to assess progress with new and outstanding requests.
- Researches and identifies potential custodians of records. Provides practical guidance regarding all aspects of the records request relative to public access to disclosure of information in public records.
- Collects and conducts review on the disclosability of the responsive documents.
- Performs redactions and states the reasons for any such exemptions to disclosure in response letter, and prepares documents for release.
- Provides notification to appropriate UC departments. Collaborates with counsels and department heads on complex requests.
- Coordinates and works with other UC campus coordinators on systemwide requests.
- Develops training materials, website content, provides general backup for the office, and other duties as assigned.
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills. Demonstrated strong ability to analyze complex information or procedures, define problem or objective, formulate logical and objective conclusions, and recognize alternatives and their implications.
- Strong policy analysis techniques. Experience with interpreting and applying complex and competing privacy and freedom of information laws, such as the California Public Records Act, California Information Practices Act, Freedom of Information Act, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative, tactful, effective, and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, University employees, attorneys and the public.
- Excellent writing skills to compose business correspondence, training materials and presentations using correct grammar and punctuation and using tone and format appropriate for intended audience.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. Ability to adapt to constantly shifting priorities.
- Strong organization and time management skills to prioritize a high volume workload with competing deadlines, follow through to solutions, and give attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on a self-directed basis and follow through to completion with little or no supervision.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Experience working with confidential information and sensitive data, and exercising discretion in dealing with confidential or potentially sensitive topics.
- Strong command of common computer application programs, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat and its redaction tool, de-duplication software, electronic mail, and the Internet.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Familiarity with University of California administrative and academic organizational structure, mode of governance, general policies, procedures, and regulations.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $67,000.00 - $93,100.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This is a fully remote position with the option to work in person.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=40746&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |