The Large Animal Hospital provides high quality medical/surgical care to inpatient, outpatient and critical/emergency large animal cases. In addition to patient care, employees are required to teach and support the veterinary students throughout their rotation in the Hospital for Large Animals. This position supports the doctors and veterinary technicians, ensuring quality veterinary care, educating clients in healthcare and ensuring a safe and effective hospital environment.
What You'll Do
As a Veterinary Assistant at the Large Animal Hospital, you will faciliate excellent patient care and client service by supporting the clinicians in the large animal ultrasound service.
In this role, you will:
- Provide support may to residents, interns, technicians and students working with ultrasound related cases in the Sports Medicine, Internal Medicine and Surgery services.
- Hold/restrain horses for ultrasound examinations
- Obtain relevant history from clients
- Schedule appointments
- Coordinate procedures within the hospital amongst various departments
- Submit billing
- Jogging horses for lameness evaluation
- Assist with other procedures (radiographs, nerve blocks and others) as directed by veterinarians and technicians
- Remove horseshoes
- Walk patients
- Clean stalls
- Clean and stock the ultrasound room and equipment
- Prepare patients for admission and discharge, including unloading and loading the trailer.
- Duties also include maintaining inventory of medical supplies, barn supplies and hospital equipment.
The current scheduled offering for this role is: Monday - Friday, 9:00a-5:30p
What We're Looking For
- High school diploma or the equivalent and at least 3 years of related experience
- Familiarity with equine medical terminology, veterinary pharmacology and equine animal behavior.
- Ability to restrain horses in a safe and compassionate manner. High degree of comfort working around all types of horses in variety of situations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with co-workers, clinicians, students, staff and clients.
- Enthusiastic, genuine, empathetic and self-motivated professional with positive upbeat attitude.
- Pride in and commitment to maintain hospital work areas. Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Assistant
Minimum $18.35, Midpoint $21.43, Maximum $24.50
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.