Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
International Student Advisor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
International Student Advisor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Advise international students on immigration issues and university policies as they pertain to SEVIS regulations. Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) for the Department of Homeland Security and as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the Department of State. Organize and implement programs for international students and cultural programs for the WPI community at large.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise and counsel international students on a wide range of issues including, but not limited to, cross-cultural, financial, and personal matters. Facilitate referrals to other offices or service agencies when appropriate.
- Sign immigration forms and process and approve I-20 forms and DS-2019 forms for international students.
- Provide immigration advice to international F-1 students, such as travel signatures, issuing of updated and new I-20 forms, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), reduced course load forms, etc.
- Assist with the mandated SEVIS registration at the start of each semester.
- Help coordinate the electronic transmission and retrieval of information between the WPI ISSM database and SEVIS.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of international student orientation programs as well as programs planned by the International Student Council (ISC).
- Work with other offices such as Interdisciplinary and Global Studies Division, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and the Career Development Center on cultural and professional programming.
- Provide basic tax filing assistance to international students.
- In coordination with student workers, cultivate the social media platforms and other types of advertising for the Office of International Student Life including the website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, posters, and newsletters.
- Support office operations such as purchase of supplies, paying bills, and maintaining DHL and FedEx accounts
- Coordinate and schedule temporary housing at the International House
- Create letters and certificates per student requests. Provide information and assistance regarding driver's licenses and Social Security paperwork.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director and Director, help oversee student workers in the office, and coordinate their work load and daily tasks.
- Help provide front office coverage when needed.
- Participate in Dean of Students Department and Division of Student Affairs activities, including the Administrator-on-Call rotation. Serve on division or campus wide committees as appropriate.
- Remain abreast of international student issues and concerns. Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in international relations/international education or related area required. Master's degree preferred.
- Basic knowledge of immigration regulations and a working knowledge of SEVIS is expected upon completion of appropriate training.
- Computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office Products and understanding of social media platforms required. Proficiency in departmental immigration software programs (e.g. SEVIS, ISSM) is expected upon completion of appropriate training.
- Knowledge of a foreign language and international experience is preferred
- Knowledge of current research and issues in the area of international education is highly desirable.
- Participate in NAFSA professional network is desired.
Must be a US citizen or permanent resident in order to serve as a DSO and ARO in the SEVIS system
Please include a cover letter and resume as part of your application.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/International-Student-Advisor_R0000772
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |