The Office of University Counsel (OUC) is responsible for managing the legal affairs of the university, including advising the schools and divisions on legal issues. OUC coordinates the delivery of all legal services for Tufts University. OUC provides advice and support to Tufts’ administrative and academic personnel on a broad range of matters, including employee relations, real estate transactions, contracts, litigation, and policy development. OUC also coordinates the selection and supervision of outside law firms.
What You'll Do
The Associate General Counsel for Compliance will report to and work closely with the Deputy General Counsel for Business Affairs in the Office of University Counsel (OUC) to support Tufts’ legal and compliance efforts. This work includes advising the university in the review, assessment, and remediation of specific legal and compliance issues identified by the OUC, Office of Vice Provost for Research, Risk Management, and Audit and Management Advisory Services. Specifically, the Associate General Counsel for Compliance will work closely with key stakeholders to identify opportunities for legal and risk mitigation and enhanced compliance, including those in research and clinic settings. The Associate General Counsel for Compliance will have the skills required to support other transactional and litigation matters that are being handled by the OUC, as required.
What We're Looking For
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Knowledge and skills typically acquired through experience in relevant practice areas.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Massachusetts or is eligible for admission to the Massachusetts Bar.
- 10+ years of experience
- Experience in higher education law strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently, within the parameters of specific and general assignments, and to bring intellect and legal training to bear in analyzing and discussing complex legal issues.
- Excellent writing skills in preparing memoranda of law or other documents.
- Computer proficiency in preparing agreements and other documents, including Word, Excel, Access, WordPress and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent professional judgment and discretion; ability to work as part of a team.
- Possess a self-assertive attitude with the knowledge and initiative to take appropriate action.
- Willingness to take on projects outside of their essential functions, to be trained in new areas, and take on new responsibilities as they arise.
- Experience with research and healthcare compliance matters.
- Experience with state and foreign privacy matters