Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Head, Library Access Services & Outreach
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Head, Library Access Services & Outreach
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Administers and directs the operations of the Access Services and Outreach Department of Gordon Library, including Access Services, Information Services, Resource Sharing Services and campus outreach activities, sustaining and enhancing a wide range of excellent, customer-focused services that support the mission and vision of WPI. Manages the student employment program. Manages departmental budgets. This position reports to the University Librarian and as a member of the library's administrative leadership team contributes to decisions on library policies, operations and library budget.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Provides leadership and management to deliver high quality customer-focused services to the WPI community; fosters a collaborative environment with open communication; establishes standards and best practices; encourages professional development. Manages four permanent library staff and approximately 40 student employees (total 9 FTE).
- Develops departmental annual and strategic plans, and evaluates, develops, implements and updates innovative and proactive service policies and procedures in response to users' needs.
- Oversees an integrated team of professional librarians and student staff who provide distinctive and specialized services, including:
- Access Services, providing quality circulation services; maintaining and creating services that support faculty with their course reserves needs; working closely with the library's copyright experts to ensure copyright compliance; monitoring safety and security of building and its collections, liaising with Campus Police.
- Information Services, providing first and second levels of research assistance in person and virtually.
- Resource Sharing Services, providing interlibrary loan and document delivery items to the WPI community and to libraries around the world in accordance with international interlibrary loan standards.
- Library-wide outreach programs, promoting library services and contributing to the university community at a variety of campus events.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of the library's circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery, resource scheduling, and web publishing systems and corresponding system administration modules.
- Manages the library's student employment program, including budget, hiring, training and payroll.
- Produces collections and statistical reports as needed using established library systems and software such as ExLibris, Springshare applications, Sensource, spreadsheet and survey software.
- Participates in assessment efforts.
- Participates in and contributes to library and WPI committees, initiatives, and goals, including the library's and the university's goals regarding equity, inclusion, and sustainability.
- Engages in and contributes to the profession through continuing learning, service, research, presentations, or professional communications.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet department, library, and university goals and objectives.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required. Some remote work may be possible but most work will be performed in person / on site.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent combination of education and library work experience.
- Three years supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication, management and organizational skills, including the ability to create a workplace environment that is user-focused, based on respect and that prioritizes staff input and development.
- Experience with administrative and service uses of integrated library systems.
- Experience with resource sharing systems; ILLiad preferred.
- Analytical abilities and computer literacy including use of common word-processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with course reserves services.
- Professional experience working in an academic library.
- Experience working with college / university students.
- Experience using ExLibris Alma circulation/fulfillment, communication, account set-up and reporting functions.
- Experience using web-based tools such as Springshare's suite of library applications for communications, calendaring, social media/marketing, and information sharing.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Head--Library-Access-Services---Outreach_R0002017
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |