Digital Communications Specialist (7455U) - 5137
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 10, 2020
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, and the Gladstone Institutes, and located on the UC Berkeley campus. A key focus of the IGI is accelerating translation of CRISPR-Cas-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health and agriculture.
The IGI is committed to hiring and developing employees who want to work in a high performing culture. The IGI is interested in candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. The IGI is also interested in individuals who may have had non-traditional career paths or taken time off for family/personal reasons.
- Regularly uploads and formats text, images, and video content to IGI website, social media, YouTube/Vimeo, and other online channels, ensuring consistency, high quality, and adherence to brand guidelines, general accuracy, and proper grammar.
- Creates and edits individual digital communication elements like vector graphics and photos, and compiles and edits larger pieces like newsletters, videos, and event advertisements.
- Tracks key performance indicators and other success metrics through Google Analytics and other tools.
- Regularly generates quantitative progress reports and suggests strategies for growth.
- Follows existing strategies for search engine optimization and improves upon them.
- Maintains or gains familiarity with established and emerging web platforms such as Wordpress, Google Docs and Sheets, Box, Dropbox, MailChimp, etc. and computer software including the Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office, Zoom, and video editing tools.
- Maintains inventory of promotional materials for online store and in-person visitors.
- Manages online order fulfillment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax, ability to write short social media copy in an engaging style consistent with the IGI voice.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Must be able to independently generate and publish online content with minimal to no errors.
- Experience with software and web tools used for website management, social media scheduling, and internal photo library management.
- Ability to populate clear, well-designed, and functional webpages to display content provided mostly by other staff members.
- Technical competency in software and web tools used for image editing, video production and distribution, website design, presentations, social media, and other online communication modalities.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to edit content produced by others without conflict.
- Skills to identify and effectively solve problems, interest and capacity to develop and implement original ideas.
- Experience contracting and managing work with outside vendors to complete tasks outside of the team's expertise.
- Ability to develop streamlined workflows to ensure efficient use of the team's time and quick publication of time-sensitive material.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Preferred familiarity with web platforms and software, including but not limited to MailChimp, Wordpress, Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office, Google Docs and Sheets, Google Analytics, Zoom, and video editing software such as iMovie or Final Cut Pro.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 12-month Contract position with a strong possibility of extension or permanent assignment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5137&PostingSeq=1