The Office of Immigration Services, University at Buffalo (UBIS) invites applications for the position of Legal Assistant.
The Legal Assistant will:
- Support employment-based immigration services including preparing related forms, petitions and applications. Serve as a liaison between UBIS, employing departments, University Human Resources, and the individuals involved.
- Coordinate Exchange Visitor Program support; prepare and issue related documents; help validate scholars in SEVIS
- Support orientation programs for Exchange Visitors; monitor exchange scholar status.
- Disseminate information on procedures related to filing applications and petitions. Request and verify client documentation; maintain case files and related office databases. Prepare associated reports.
- Conduct legal research, and summarize and report findings. Monitor professional literature for changes to regulations that impact Immigration Services clients.
The Legal Assistant may also supervise the department’s student employees, and assist with general office duties.
A member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) and the largest and most comprehensive public research university in the State University of New York (SUNY) system, the University at Buffalo (UB) is an internationally renowned center for academic excellence. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Excellent organizational ability and computer skills, strong oral and written communication skills, outstanding attention to detail, demonstrated intercultural skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines simultaneously and a "take-charge" attitude.
US Citizenship or legal permanent residency is required, as mandated by federal regulations.
Paralegal degree or certificate. Experience in an immigration law firm