Directs the work, duty schedule and training of staff members in the Perioperative section for both large and small animals at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH).
1. Directs and oversees the work of staff members in the anesthesia service, surgical service, and sterile processing for both large and small animal at the VTH; ensures the technicians are cross-trained and provide adequate coverage.
2. Manages inventory for both large and small animal to ensure appropriate supplies are on-hand and
are ordered in a cost effective and fiscally responsible manner.
3. Directs functions and operations of surgery from pre-operative care through post-operative care to ensure efficiency and patient safety; triage and coordinate the day-to-day flux of patients to ensure that needs are met.
4. Manages all aspects of staffing for technicians to provide surgical and anesthesia coverage on an "on call" basis 24/7 to include management of schedules, time sheets, and the hiring and firing of employees.
5. Oversees finances, payroll, human resources and overall management of surgery and anesthesia areas; keeps supervisor up-to-date on potential issues.
6. Creates and manages a cohesive billing and charge structure that encompasses surgery, anesthesia and sterile processing, as well as inventory management.
Full supervisory responsibility for other employees is a major responsibility and includes training, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion or other employment decisions.