Manager, Global Policy Lab (7376U) - 27259 - 1254
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 25, 2019
The Global Policy Laboratory at UC Berkeley is an interdisciplinary research group that integrates physical science, social science, econometrics, and data science to answer questions that are central to rationally managing planetary resources---such as the economic value of the global climate, the effectiveness of treaties governing the oceans, how the UN can fight wildlife poaching, and whether satellites and AI can be combined to monitor the entire planet in real time. The lab's research has been published in Nature, Science, and PNAS. The lab is directed by Solomon Hsiang, Chancellor's Professor of Public Policy and a National Geographic Explorer.
- Oversees and ensures that daily lab operations run smoothly for the unit.
- Serves as unit Human Resources liaison, working with BRS-HR.
- Serves as unit liaison with the campus VSPA and Berkeley International Office (BIO) and coordinates any necessary visa processes for hiring.
- Serves as unit Facilities Manager and Safety Coordinator.
- Manages work orders with other campus facilities for standard maintenance and repair work.
- Oversees unit computer technical needs and the purchase of new computer equipment and software, working with CSS-IS&T.
- Manages lab finances; working with project managers within GPL, GSPP CFO, and CSS Research Administrator.
- Supports lab revenue-generation efforts, including providing input into non-technical portions of grant and contract proposals, and supporting fundraising.
- Plans lab events and team building activities.
- Plans itinerary and other logistical needs for lab visitors.
- Update GPL website with research and team updates.
Calendar and Travel Manager:
- Manages Faculty Director's schedule and sets up meetings.
- Screens and directs phone/email inquiries, handling requests and queries appropriately.
- Arranges travel, accommodation, itineraries, and all correspondence related to arrangements as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with campus processes, protocols, and procedures.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong service orientation and ability to work proactively as part of a team.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills with the ability to remain calm and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Excellent writing skills sufficient to represent GPL leadership in email and business communications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, faculty, students, alumni, donors, visitors, and external constituencies, both verbally and in writing.
- Political acumen and sensitivities to the differing perspectives, social and cultural norms, and political circumstances as they apply to GPL, including its members, visitors, and partners.
- Ability to guide GPL visitors, sufficient to direct them to other campus and community resources.
- Comfort and experience working in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes and manage conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to respond to questions in a timely and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to use high-level discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Analytical/problem solving skills sufficient to support strategic planning with GPL leadership.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns, with a clear understanding of when issues should be referred to GPL leadership.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience in an academic unit preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $21.70 - $33.09.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 40-hour per week, 12-month, temporary (Contract) appointment, with the possibility of extension
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1254&PostingSeq=1