Office Manager (4722C) - 1700 - 1700
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 13, 2019
Communications & Public Affairs creates communications strategies to enhance public knowledge and support for the University of California, Berkeley. The department has primary responsibility for campus communications, editorial content, print and online publishing and design, and local, national, and international media relations. Communications & Public Affairs conveys UC Berkeley news and strategic messages to the general public, highlighting the quality, diversity, vitality, and preeminence of UC Berkeley to its many audiences.
- Act as the lead support carrying out work for which accuracy, speed, discretion, and attention to detail are essential.
- Staff the front desk, assuring high-quality customer service, timely distribution of media information, and effective, prompt response to a wide range of administrative needs of the professional staff.
- Answer phones on the main line for the office.
- Direct media calls to the appropriate communications specialist.
- Direct other calls to the appropriate office on campus.
- Plan logistics for events for the media, including press conferences, briefings, and visits by editors and reporters.
- Make event arrangements, including rental of facilities and equipment, set up of room, parking, signage, and media materials.
- Prepare press packets for special media events.
- Provide support at events.
- Provide assistance for on-campus filming requests, working in tandem with Public Affairs' broadcast team.
- Monitor and order supplies, maintain office equipment, record-keeping, file, and make deliveries, as needed.
- Process office purchases, assuring the accuracy of all information submitted and following practices outlined by the Admin. Officer.
- Research proposed purchases of new equipment or supplies, as assigned by the Admin. Officer.
- Under the direction of the Admin. Officer, assist with building maintenance, working with Physical Plant-Campus Services and other units to assure that repairs and upkeep are carried out.
- Prepare simple financial journals in the Berkeley Financial System (BFS) for Admin. Officer's approval
- Prepare low-value requisitions in BFS, and also manage purchasing needs using university-issued credit cards.
- Assist with Emergency Preparedness efforts; maintain accurate and up-to-date rosters and assist Director of Strategic Communications with any emergency prep. needs.
- Act as lead administrative support for annual Cal Day event, managing spending on printing, advertising, etc.
- Carry out special projects, either short- or long-term, to support Public Affairs units.
- Familiarity with fast-paced office environment dealing with public and media; computer fluency in Word, Excel.
- Experience in a higher-education setting, or relevant communications-based office
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience up to $27.71 hourly.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week, career position.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1700&PostingSeq=1