Security Specialist (5195U) 27510
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 20, 2019
The University of California Police Department provides a full range of law enforcement services in support of the academic and public service missions of the University of California, serving a diverse community of more than 43,000 students and 14,000 faculty & staff in the vibrant City of Berkeley, at the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition to the traditional role of a police department, we also carry out a variety of proactive educational, outreach and crime prevention programs. We pride ourselves in a professional and high-quality delivery of service, which we provide with sensitivity to the unique concerns of the University community.
At the Berkeley campus, we employ approximately 62 sworn peace officers, 70 full time civilian employees and 60 part-time students. We are interested in ethical, intelligent, creative and motivated candidates who possess the desire and talent required to address the unique challenges of our urban campus environment. We offer a wide variety of assignments and a public service experience unlike any other agency.
- As part of UCPD's Crime Prevention Unit (CPU), the Facilities Management Specialist 3 serves as liaison with campus units and external agencies (vendors) regarding safety and security access, compliance, maintenance, and program review.
- Assesses facilities' needs in their areas of responsibility (alarms, videos and access systems) and provides recommendations to Facilities Supervisor I related to overall program implementation. This includes scheduling of vendors from onset to completion, system implementation, and associated budgeting.
- Provides recommendations regarding overall program goals and guidelines for their areas of responsibility (alarms, videos, and access systems) to meet campus-wide, regulatory and safety and security requirements, and needs for management review.
- Coordinates vendor activities, including repairs and installations, and/or participates in program-related work. Monitors vendor throughout entire process to ensure all work is completed as per requirements, with minimal disruption to facilities' occupants and operations.
- Manage and maintains system and program documentation, for each area of responsibility, related to plans, procedures and protocols including access controls and security, crime prevention activities, fire safety inspection compliance, and reporting.
- Works with internal and external agencies/contractors as needed in regards to existing contract terms or to solicit new contracts.
- Manage campus-wide, alarm, video and access system databases ensuring communication with the host UCPD on a daily basis.
- Coordinates emergency repairs during and after work hours.
- Oversees and ensures all training and close-out documentation meet the contract requirements and are properly turned over to the appropriate entity, including warranties, record drawings, and operations and maintenance manuals.
- Technical knowledge in the areas of alarms, security access and video as related to buildings and construction, design, contract administration, and familiarity with California building codes.
- Ability to evaluate and assess risk associated with facility safety and security as it relates to the overall Campus community for alarms, security access and video.
- Interpersonal skills including good service orientation and effective problem solving.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily activities effectively.
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27510&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1