Specialist - Grounds
: Staff - Full-Time
Do you love working outdoors? Landscaping? Gardening? Making things beautiful? Looking for excellent benefits and tuition coverage? The grounds department is seeking a full time grounds specialist to join the team that makes UVU a beautiful campus. The grounds specialist plants, transplants, and prunes trees, shrubs and other plants. Performs groundskeeping work including maintaining and caring for assigned landscaped areas. Cultivates and fertilizes lawns, plants, shrubs and trees. Operates groundskeeping equipment such as riding lawn mowers, power edgers, power mowers, and other related equipment.
Graduation with high school diploma or GED and one year related experience or any combination of job related experience and education totaling one year.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape gardening, including planting, transplanting and pruning.
- Knowledge of grade fertilizers and their application.
- Knowledge of the mechanical operations and methods of repairing equipment.
- Skills in gardening, planting, transplanting and pruning all types of plant species.
- Ability to expend arduous effort and to work in conditions that may involve some hazards and considerable discomforts.
- Ability to operate light trucks, tractors, and stationary equipment.
- Ability to supervise part-time and seasonal employees.
- Ability to maintain accurate and accessible records.
- Ability to maintain buildings and grounds with minimum supervision.
Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions. Considerable physical activity heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job. Work will involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
$19,731 to $24,664
STA123518 Grounds Staff
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of one reference. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
This position works Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Position requires times of being on-call 24/7 for snow removal and other campus emergencies.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/10644
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.