Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Stevens Institute of Technology
This position has responsibility for application, web, and mobile platform development and systems integration. The Software Engineer develops, implements, deploys, and maintains a variety of custom solutions and information system integrations to support business process automation. This person follows the systems development lifecycle (SDLC) and is an active contributor throughout the process, including implementation, delivery, and maintenance. The successful candidate will partner with team members to inform decisions regarding architecturally significant requirements; assist in technical, security, and user experience vetting of products and vendors; and design, develop, test, and deploy robust software solutions. The Software Engineer also works collaboratively with colleagues from other academic and administrative units to drive continuous improvement of the user experience and business outcomes of Stevens’ information systems by focusing on student-centricity. As Stevens continues to execute its cloud smart strategy, the Software Engineer will have the opportunity to work with key technologies and services, including Workday, Okta, Contentful, Gatsby, and Next.js, hosted on Netlify, Vercel, and Microsoft Azure. An analytical and problem-solving mindset, creativity, communication, and customer-centricity are key characteristics of a successful candidate for this position.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain information systems to stakeholder specifications as directed
- Build out standard platforms to enable agile, flexible, and scalable development of integrations, business workflows, and workload automation
- Contribute to technology selection efforts, including feasibility and scalability assessments
- Contribute to quality assurance efforts, including code reviews and integration testing
- Ensure proper security for information systems and web-based services
- Support high availability of Stevens’ web services and other information systems
- Advise and consult with members of the Stevens community concerning web architecture, industry standards, best practices, and development initiatives
- Draft and maintain appropriate documentation, encompassing architecture, operating environments, user interfaces, data exchanges, and critical components
- Proactively and continuously pursue professional development and training
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Breakdown of Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- 60%: Engineering & DevOps
- 15%: Process re-engineering and optimization
- 15%: Website support
- 10%: Other duties as assigned in support of overall IT strategic goals and synergy within IT
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, MIS), or equivalent training and experience
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Professional experience in higher education preferred
- Familiarity with modern web tooling (Gulp/Grunt, SASS/LESS, Composer, NPM, Git, etc.)
- Familiarity with Python a plus
- Knowledge of modern front-end frameworks and static site generators (React, Gatsby, Next.js)
- Experience developing software in an Agile environment
- Cross-functional expertise in areas associated with information systems design including usability, accessibility, and user experience
- Experience in API design and implementation
- Familiarity with SharePoint integrations a plus
- Experience creating documentation for systems and procedures
- Energetic, passionate, and self-motivated mindset with a strong desire to excel and flourish in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and a commitment to continued self-improvement
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and planning skills with an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and collaboratively with cross-functional units
- Sound independent judgment and decision-making
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
About Information Technology:
The integration of advanced technology throughout all levels of study is ubiquitous across universities - it facilitates digital transformations and ultimately shapes the future of higher education.
At Stevens, our legacy is built on technology. The Division of Information Technology not only acknowledges but wholeheartedly supports this opportunity to drive our community's advancement in technology and innovation. In order to foster collaboration in the areas of teaching and learning, student success, research and scholarship, service and outreach, and administrative operations - we implement value-driven strategic solutions and support new technologies with enhanced security in an increasingly remote space. Along the way, the Division of Information Technology strives to meet global challenges that require us to turn inward, unveiling a shared vision of empathetic leadership, accountability, and exceptional customer-centric services that fully support and empower our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the vision and mission of Stevens.
Office of Enterprise Platform and Data Services
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |