Tufts University’s facilities department provides professional, high quality and cost-effective services to the faculty, staff and students of the university. This commitment includes planning, building, maintaining and operating the department to maximize long-term value. Each facilities employee is expected to meet the needs of our customers and to strive to exceed their expectations.
What You'll Do
While reporting to the Manager for Labor and Waste Operations and working for Facilities Campus Services: The Supervisor for Recycling & Waste Reduction will supervise the recycling and waste reduction programs across the four (4) campuses while focused on helping Tufts to meet its goal of reducing waste production by 3% each year and fostering a mindful, just, low-waste culture of sustainability on campus. Although projects vary each year, general responsibilities include the following:
Hire and schedule student interns to help support the university campus solid waste/recycling programs and for special events. While supervising and working with Tufts student interns, provide leadership, guidance and develop relationships with a university focus while fostering change management. Provide support for Facilities Services for the Grafton, Boston and SMFA campuses. Implement and maintain the necessary policies, guidelines and procedures for an effective and efficient solid waste and recycling program that meets or exceeds federal, state and city (Boston, Grafton, Medford, and Somerville) policies and guidelines. To ensure each campus has the proper equipment and procedures to provide an effective, efficient, and cost- effective solid waste/recycling program. Supply information for the Office of Sustainability (OoS) for creating and supplying communications and to establish awareness programs for supporting special events and waste free dining. Manage and continuously assess the Solid waste/recycling/food waste contract agreement(s) and the Medford campus pest control program and contract agreement.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and experience typically acquired by a 2-year degree in environmental science, sustainability or environmental compliance, business management, or a related field of study.
- At least one year of experience as a recycling or waste coordinator for an institution for higher education, a city or state municipality, or in the solid waste/recycling industry.
- Knowledge and experience typically acquired by a 4-year degree in environmental science/management, sustainability/environmental compliance, business management, or a related science discipline.
- At least one year of experience as a supervisor for recycling and waste management for an institution for higher education, a city or state municipality, or in the solid waste/recycling industry.
- Experience coordinating and working with college/university students engaged in solid waste/recycling activities and operations.
- Experience with custodial management as it relates to recycling and solid waste operations.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.