Administrative Assistant 1, Library (4724C) 27117 - 1346
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 2, 2019
The East Asian Library is a language-specialty library with a staff of eighteen career employees, a number of temporary staff, and a greater number of student employees. Its combined holdings total over a million items. Its primary users are East Asian studies faculty and students in all colleges and professional schools on the Berkeley campus.
- Orders supplies and equipment for entire unit using BluCard and BearBuy; requests payment or purchase orders for supplies or services rendered.
- Obtains pre-approvals for entertainment and travel.
- Prepares requests for reimbursement for staff travel, professional development, entertainment of an official nature. Makes deposits. Maintains records and monitors payments and reimbursements.
- Provides administrative support to unit and director.
- Performs reception responsibilities and serves as primary contact for official visitors and delegations.
- Responds to telephone queries from faculty, staff, donors, media, and the public.
- Manages the director's calendar, schedules meetings, assists with travel plans.
- Participates in planning of special events, e.g., academic conferences or public receptions, sponsored by the unit, including logistics and coordination of events.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned: delivering express mail to Moffitt mail room; assisting with statistics reporting; working with Berkeley International Office and Campus Shared Services to obtain visas for visiting scholars.
- Knowledge of basic computer applications.
- Ability to communicate clearly, set priorities, organize, maintain orderly records and files, complete assigned tasks thoroughly and promptly, maintain an excellent attendance record, work in a diverse environment, work accurately and efficiently paying attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with campus travel, entertainment, and purchasing policies; familiarity with Asian culture or knowledge of an Asian language; familiarity with libraries and library operations.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary range of the position is $18.42- $21.72, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a twelve months limited appointment at 43% FTE.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1346&PostingSeq=1