Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Information Systems Analyst (7309U) - 2682 - 2682
University of California Berkeley
Information Systems Analyst (7309U) - 2682 - 2682
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 20, 2019
The Department of Mathematics at Berkeley is generally recognized as one of the broadest, liveliest, and most distinguished departments of mathematics in the world. With approximately 55 regular faculty members representing most of the major fields of current research, along with 25 to 30 post-doctoral scholars, 180 graduate students, over 800 undergraduate majors, one of the finest mathematics libraries in the nation, and situated in a favorable climate in one of America's most exciting and cosmopolitan centers for mathematics research and teaching, Berkeley has become a favorite location for the study of mathematics by students and faculty from all over the world.
Unix servers: Install, configure, and manage more than 20 (physical and virtual) UNIX servers. Monitor availability and performance of core system services. Install and support scientific applications.
Network storage: Evaluate and build a state-of-the-art network storage system. Manage on- and off-site data backup. Establish and execute data security and disaster recovery plans.
Web services: Maintain and extend the functionality of web content management systems: Drupal, WordPress, MediaWiki, and others. Consult and collaborate with faculty and students on hosting open source computer applications for academic and research services.
Desktop Support: Integrate desktop PC and Mac computers into Department and UCB wide computer systems. Provide access to scientific applications: MATLAB, Mathematica, Maple, and others. Enhance existing or develop new thin client services. Prepare user guides and other relevant documentation for department community. Coordinate user training.
Software development: Automate existing manual system workflows. Consolidate fragmented or duplicate data sources and procedures into a common information system. Develop custom applications with focus on cloud and mobile computing.
Team lead: May provide technical guidance to other IT professionals and staff assistants. Use lean/agile techniques to ensure that projects are delivered on time and on budget.
Requires thorough knowledge of applications programming methodology, tools and protocols:
- Ability to define high-level designs and requirements, and advise on development and prototyping.
- Ability to prepare and deliver standards, guidelines and policies for software solutions.
- Experience in selecting and implementing platforms, and frameworks, and tools to support agile application development.
Possesses full knowledge of professional IT concepts:
- Thorough knowledge of IT services in an enterprise and/or academic environment.
- Experience in planning, building, and supporting enterprise systems services.
- Thorough understanding of data center design and operations.
- Strong technical skills.
- High customer service standards and the ability to work independently in a demanding environment.
- In-depth knowledge of data integrity and security management, software updates, malware and intrusion detection and prevention, security incident procedures.
- End-user support and training in a highly diverse organization.
- Must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Possesses strong documentation and presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Preferred hands-on experience:
- Systems administration: Debian- and RedHat-based Linux, MacOS, Windows.
- UNIX command line utilities, networking and shell scripting.
- Advances UNIX logical volume and file system management: mdadm, LVM, ZFS.
- Identity management: NIS, LDAP, Kerberos, Active Directory, CAS, OAuth.
- Network systems services: DHCP, TFTP, DNS, NTP, NFS, SMB, AFP, SSH, CUPS, SMTP.
- At least one of programing languages: Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby.
- Experience with performing analytics on real-world datasets.
- Version control systems: git, subversion.
- Web content management systems: Drupal, WordPress, MediaWiki.
- Web server software: Apache, Nginx, WSGI, FastCGI.
- Web application frameworks Node.js, Django, Flask.
- Databases engines: MySQL, MariaDB, Postgres, MongoDB, Redis.
- High performance computing and clustering, performance tuning and monitoring.
- Virtual and cloud computing: LXC, Docker, KVM/QEMU, VMWare, Virtualbox, libvirt, Proxmox, OpenStack, AWS EC2 and S3.
- Office productivity software: MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, LibreOffice.
- Google web applications: Calendar, Mail, Docs, Forms, etc.
- Math scientific applications: TeX/LaTeX, Mathematica, MATLAB, Maple, MAGMA.
- Data backup and restore: Amanda, Box, Google Cloud, rclone, Amazon Glacier.
- Thin. client technology: LTSP, X2Go, Xpra, Chrome OS.
- Configuration management: Ansible, Salt, Puppet, Chef, OpenStack.
- Server and network monitoring: Prometheus, Nagios, Zenoss, Zabbix.
- Server Hardware: Intel- and AMD-based enterprise class computers.
- Storage technology: ZFS, hardware RAID, iSCSI, NAS, SAN, NetApp.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2682&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |