Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Research Communicator is responsible for communicating about research and scholarship at WPI across a broad array of disciplines in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, arts, humanities and business with a particular focus on conveying the real-world relevance and impact of the work or WPI's faculty and student researchers.
The Research Communicator must be an outstanding communicator - especially an excellent writer and editor - who can accurately translate complex discoveries and technologies into engaging, informative language for readers of all backgrounds. Accordingly, this person must be able to identify the significance and relevance of published research and be able to ask pertinent and insightful questions of researchers.
In order to communicate messages tailored to a range of important audiences, WPI strives to tell our research stories via a variety of communications tools and channels. Working closely with others in the WPI Marketing Communications Division, the Research Communicator will serve as a resource on research and faculty research expertise on projects that celebrate WPI's research through creative and innovative approaches.
- Meet regularly with researchers and members of the administration to learn about new developments in research across the university.
- Participate in high-level discussions within the Division to assure that the faculty and the research enterprise are properly represented and positioned in university marketing and communications projects.
- Generate research stories - including feature stories - for the media, for WPI Journal, the Daily Herd, the website, and other print and electronic platforms.
- Cultivate relationships with faculty members. Keep abreast of their research activities, upcoming publications and presentations, and honors and awards.
- Work with PR and communications teams to identify and/or generate news releases about new studies, grants, and other research news for appropriate general and trade media. Help to develop national media strategies, pitches, social media content, and so on.
- Collaborate with other marketing and communications experts and content producers in the division to write across marketing platforms and support in the development of infographics, animations, videos, and other vehicles for conveying the relevance of important research developments in creative and engaging ways.
- Help plan, write and edit a monthly research e-newsletter and distribute it to a national audience of peer institutions, funding agencies, and influencers.
- Serve as a member of the planning team that recruits and organizes the faculty and student exhibits for the annual TouchTomorrow festival.
- Write news releases and web content to recognize new faculty members, faculty promotions and tenure awards, and the Board of Trustees' awards for faculty and staff achievement; annually update the Board of Trustees' Awards display in the Campus Center.
- Monitor ProfNet media queries and respond, when appropriate, with pitches about WPI faculty experts.
- Help create and maintain lists of faculty experts on the WPI Expert Database, and on sites such as ProfNet and EurekAlert.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or an appropriate area of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Minimum of 6-8 years experience in communications, media relations, or similar field.
- Demonstrated experience in translating complex topics in science and technology into easily understandable language.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to use Google Scholar and other search tools to learn about new faculty publications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft desktop applications.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Sound judgment and critical thinking skills
- Some experience with Web content management systems (particularly Drupal), photography, video production, and social media helpful, but not essential
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Research-Communicator_R0000237
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |