The University Bursar's Office has oversight of all financial records and transactions for all current and former students. The Office is responsible for timely and accurate billing, collection and accounting for all student related revenues, payments and receivables; receipt of all student loan disbursements and issuance of student refund checks in compliance with Title IV Cash Management regulations; maintenance of student receivables and bad debt reserves at predetermined levels of acceptability. The Bursar’s Office establishes, maintains and publishes student financial policy; reconciles all related P/S accounts; manages MBTA monthly and semester pass programs; processes departmental cash receipts, petty cash payments, and research study vouchers. The University Bursar’s Office is committed to providing a high level of customer service for student, parent and staff customers in executing the above responsibilities.
What You'll Do
The Assistant Bursar provides operational support for the Bursar’s Office related to: billing, cashiering and refunds. The position provides functional expertise for complex customer service related billing questions that cannot be resolved by Student Services or the Bursar Representative. The Assistant Bursar also handles the Tufts tuition remission and third-party billing processes. This position is responsible for management of receipt of student loans and issuance of refunds, including Title IV compliance; approval of student refunds in absence of the Associate Bursar, and daily drawdowns/returns from/to the US Department of Education G5 website.
- Tuition student receivables management
- Customer service for students, parents and families
- Daily drawdowns or returns from/to the US Department of Education G5 website
- Supervise daily loan receipt and refund generation process including Title IV compliance.
- Liaison with Student Services departments such as Financial Aid and Registrar
- Act as backup to the cashier when necessary using the Cashnet system for student payments, departmental deposits and petty cash
- Provide backup to the Associate Bursar including refund approval and third party billing
- Provide backup to the Bursar Representative for cashiering and morning PeopleSoft uploads
- Process Tufts Tuition Remission for students and staff
- Applying health insurance charges or waivers, dormitory adjustments, student advance deposits and lost supplies charges on student accounts
- Oversee daily cash receipt and disbursement operations
- Review/process/audit daily Cashnet, Lockbox, Petty Cash, and Head Cashiering to ensure timely and accurate processing of cash to bank, to A/P and to PeopleSoft
- Manage preparation of account reconciliations. Research and clear variances
- Representation of the Bursar’s office at student orientations
What We're Looking For
- 2-4 years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
- Preferred candidate should have 3 to 5 years of higher education experience in Bursar operations or Student Services.
- Proficiency with a variety of technical systems used in this field including MS Office, Peoplesoft Financials or other accounting software.
- The ability to learn and use a variety of software programs and to analyze data, especially in MS Excel.
- Knowledge of student financial aid process is beneficial
Minimum $51,400.00, Midpoint $64,250.00, Maximum $77,100.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.