Senior Career Development Specialist (4517U) - FUNG Institute
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 4/7/20
The Coleman Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership was launched in January 2010 and is headquartered at UC Berkeley's College of Engineering. Our mission is to shape generations of technical leaders to innovate across boundaries. The Fung Institute achieves its mission through teaching, research, and service activities. The Institute is home to the Berkeley Master of Engineering (MEng) program and undergraduate Fung Fellowship program. These programs combine leadership, technology innovation in all the disciplines of engineering and management education with the mission of empowering leaders to best shape the changing world through technology innovation. Currently the Institute serves nearly 700 students across all the programs, making it one of the largest on campus. The influence of the Institute is also expanded through partnerships with the Haas School of Business, the School of Public Health and UC San Francisco.
In addition to working with the MEng program, the Sr. Career Specialist is charged with creating programming and communications for specialized populations within the Fung Institute such as the MEng/MBA program and the undergraduate Fung Fellowship program. Collaborating closely with the Director of Career Development, this position will help to establish and manage relationships with potential employers and campus partners.
As staff of the Fung Institute, we are committed to: serving students first, helping each other succeed, having a growth mindset, speaking-up, inclusion, and accountability. We are looking for inclusive-minded applicants who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diversity of our student population and communities. Our team is an innovative and equity-focused community striving to expand access in higher education, innovation, and technology for all. This position is part of a high performing team culture informed by the Fung Institute's guiding principles, https://funginstitute.berkeley.edu/about-us/our-people/staff/
and Berkeley's Operating Principles, https://hr.berkeley.edu/performance/operating-principles
50% Career Coaching and Assessment:
- Provide career coaching in particularly complex areas that requires specialized expertise in working with junior as well as mid- to senior-level individuals who are looking to advance in their careers or switch entirely to another function and/or industry.
- Use standard quantitative and qualitative assessments to help students assess career goals. Guide clients by providing decision making and goal setting tools helping them to identify interests, values, skills, and internal/external obstacles to obtaining goals. Identify personal crisis situations and refer clients to appropriate resources.
- Organize and facilitate group sessions to convey current industry trends and essential professional skills for interviews and the workplace
- Participate in Fung Institute events, e.g. Visit Day, orientation, MEng. commencement reception, etc.
30% Career Readiness Pedagogy Research, Program Design, and Workshop Development:
- Develop customized programming for specific populations and provide tailored content to support outreach efforts. Make use of a variety of strategies and methods from in-person networking and seminars to webinars, and use of social media.
- Manage Student Leadership, MEng Career Representative Program
- Research and report on economic and employment trend data
- Establish metrics to track utilization of services, including advising and workshops/Webinars. Compile data for program evaluation and to aid in marketing.
- Manage program improvement processes. Regularly conduct needs assessments, and evaluate program effectiveness.
- Create new educational and marketing materials as needed.
15% Relationship Management:
- Establish new relationships with corporations and other organizations related to career services for the Fung Institute. Contact companies about recruiting MEng and partnering on workshops and events.
- Work proactively to strengthen relationships with recruiting companies in designated industries. Assist them in developing and executing recruiting strategies. Coordinate relationships with strategic partners on campus
- Work with other COE departments and faculty to develop comprehensive relationships between companies and the Fung Institute.
5% Database Management:
* Assist with database management, online resources and platforms including but not limited to SalesForce and PeopleGrove.
*********This is a one-year contract, full-time at 100%*********
- Advanced knowledge of career development theories, adult development theory, counseling processes, career decision making, learning styles, and job search techniques.
- Experience coaching and advising entry level as well as mid-senior level career professionals.
- Knowledge of needs assessment theory, processes, and practice, workshop and program design.
- Knowledge of technology industry job market and recruiting trends.
- Highly effective skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying metrics and the actions to improve systems.
- Demonstrated ability and strong interpersonal skills to work in a multicultural environment with individuals and groups with a wide array of backgrounds, identities, life experiences, personality types and communication styles.
- Ability to use data to create reports and online resources
- Experience organizing events.
- Experience collaborating with business and technology executives and career professionals. Ability to effectively represent the College of Engineering.
- Experience in independently managing projects through to completion with strong attention to details and prioritizing tasks
- Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Fluent with LinkedIn and social media tools
- MBTI and Career Leader Certification preferred
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- This is a one-year contract position (full-time - 100%). Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
- Salary commensurate with experience
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7186&PostingSeq=1