Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Camp Lead - Cal Youth Camps (4129U) 29689
University of California, Berkeley
Camp Lead - Cal Youth Camps (4129U) 29689
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Cal Youth Camps leads the way in providing summer camps for kids of all ages. Located on the UC Berkeley campus for more than 60 years, we offer high-caliber, impactful and fun camps.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 1/28/2022
Cal Youth Camp Leads provide leadership to assigned seasonal Camp Programs. Camp Leads are responsible for management of assigned staff, development, implementation, and overall communication with parents and families. Camp Leads serve on seasonal summer camp leadership team, and report directly to a Youth Camps Coordinator.
I. SUPPORT & COACHING
- Provide training, support and coaching to staff (Camp Asst. Leads, Camp/Program Instructors) working in assigned camp program(s); Provide direction and feedback as necessary.
- Maintain and promote the health, safety, and well-being of camp staff
- Organize, implement, and document professional development program, including weekly staff meetings.
- Ensure staff are adhering to and understand all stated policies and procedures of the Recreational Sports Department, and UC Berkeley, while providing a safe, fun, and educational skills-based experience for all youth campers/participants.
- Help campers, and staff adjust to camp life and each other
- Motivate campers and staff to enthusiastically participate in all programs and activities
- Prepare, maintain and process all forms and paperwork accurately and promptly (rosters, accident reports, timesheets, equipment, staff paperwork, etc.).
- Communicate and work closely with supervisor on all aspects of customer service, paperwork, facility, program development, and staff supervision.
- Organize and run parent orientations. Promote theme days or group traditions to help campers and staff feel united as a group and add enjoyment to the camp.
- Communicate and resolve with parents of campers on campers' progress or perceived problems
- Administer first aid as needed and in accordance with training/certification
- Ensure staff have safe and appropriate equipment and supplies.
- Develop and manage a system to return lost and found items to participants
- Adapt to new situations and sudden changes or problems.
- Display appropriate behavior (action and language) around campers, parents, and staff.
- Follows all camp policies and procedures including, wearing required camp uniform and following agreed upon work schedule.
- Demonstrate good judgment.
- Maintain Red Cross First Aid CPR certifications
- Fill in for Camp staff or receptionists as needed.
- Complete all tasks in a timely manner as specified or requested by your supervisor
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as requested by supervisor.
- At least three years previous experience working with youth in a recreational setting, or equivalent experience.
- Has strong knowledge of Camp Programs, program planning/development, program structures, classroom management, and youth learning styles
- Has strong management skills and knowledge of group dynamics
- Position requires work leadership and inter-personal skills, and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally.
- Service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, ability to develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience/training.
Licenses or certifications:
- Red Cross Infant/Child/Adult CPR certification required.
- Knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Some college or Associate Degree and/or Bachelors Degree
Salary & Benefits
$20.00 - $24.00 Hourly. This position is not eligible for UC benefits plan.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- Multiple positions available.
- Part-time contract appointment ending 8/31/2022.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29689&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |