Metastasis, the dissemination of cells from the primary tumor to other sites within the body, is responsible for 90% of deaths linked to cancer. Chemotherapy is the standard of care for metastatic breast cancer, although many patients do not respond well or develop resistance to these drugs. The goal of our research is to understand the contribution of the components that surround and support tumors in these processes, in particular the extracellular matrix, to better predict which tumors will metastasize and become drug-resistant, as well as find new ways to treat them
This lab technician job exists to assist in the daily lab maintenance and research support tasks for several research projects investigating the role of neuronal genes and nerves in breast cancer progression, Bachelors degree in biology or related field required, lab experience a plus.
What You'll Do
This is a limited term position for 1-2 years. This is a grant funded position and is not eligible for severance pay.
This lab technician job exists to assist in the daily lab maintenance and research support tasks in a lab on the Tufts Medford Campus. The position supports a several research projects investigating the role of neuronal genes and nerves in breast cancer progression.
- Assisting in maintaining stock levels, making lab stock solutions for assays and culture medium
- Participate in lab duties maintaining shared lab space
- Cell culture: standard cell culture techniques of cancer cells, media preparation, cell expansion, cell storage
- Primary neuronal cultures dissected from adult mice
- Cell characterization using molecular biology and protein assessment techniques, as well as imaging methods
- Help with histology and tissue preparation
- Helping with in vivo experiments generating, monitoring and dissecting mammary xenograft tumors in mice
- Supporting postdoctoral scholars and PhD students on dissecting the role of neuronal genes and nerves in breast cancer progression
What We're Looking For
- BS in biology/biochemistry/biomedical engineering or related background.
- Some biological laboratory experience is required.
- Background in cell culture or histology is helpful.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.