Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
What You'll Do
The VOIP Systems Technician is responsible for the operation, support, maintenance and monitoring of Tufts´ multi-campus VOIP & Telephony services. The VOIP Systems Technician works to plan, design, configure, install, test and analyze VOIP systems/services including the VOIP Unified Communications/Call Manager, PBX, Carrier interconnects, TDM & SIP Trunks, & Call Routing. This position works closely with other TTS Teams to manage the related telephony & communications infrastructure, equipment and communications applications. The VOIP Systems Technician assists with work orders for moves, adds and changes and serves as point of escalation for customer support and repair orders related to voice calling, voicemail/unified messaging, Emergency Operations Center, Contact-Center and related data & network services. The VOIP Systems Technician leads VOIP & Telephony system upgrades and rollout of new service and ensures the reliability and scalability of these platforms. This position serves a key role in the direct support of critical telecommunications systems and services and participates in on-call rotation.
This position is responsible for services that must be available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The schedule of this position may vary based on the needs of the department. Typical business hours are Monday-Friday 7am-4pm with requirement for participation in “On-Call” rotation for off-hours, weekends and Holidays. This position may require occasional work to be scheduled outside of normal business hours. This position requires some travel between the three Tufts main campuses, SMFA, Datacenters, Co-location and clinic sites. This person must have the ability to respond quickly in person when on-call.
This position has a work designation of hybrid with a requirement of regularly working on Tufts campus ~3 days per week with some variability in schedule based on the needs of the business, and the ability to work remotely from home for ~2 days a week.
What We're Looking For
• Knowledge and experience typically acquired through an Associate’s Degree or Vocational training and 6+ years of work experience in voice and data communications
• Technical experience configuring and maintaining Cisco Telephony Systems (CUCM, Analog Gateways, IP Telephones, Unity VM), Oracle Acme Packets SBC, Audio Codes Analog Gateways
• Strong knowledge in Telephony technology, ability to configure and troubleshoot VOIP, SIP, SIP/TDM Trunks, MGCP, Call Flow & Call Routing, & service provider interconnects
• Experience working with Windows Server and Linux servers
• Experience with PBXs, Contact Centers & ACDs
• Solid background in network and infrastructure design experience. Demonstrated operations experience with complex routed IP networks, layer two/three switches, advanced routers, firewalls, LAN/WAN networking hardware and protocols.
• Strong knowledge in IP data networking and advanced troubleshooting experience. Working experience with networking technologies and protocols including but not limited to TCP/IP, RTP, VLANs, DNS, DHCP, DDNS, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, RST and QOS. High proficiency in Unix based computer systems and network management/monitoring applications is also necessary.
• Prior experience working directly with telecommunications vendors and cable contractors
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience in Network & Systems Engineering
• Ability to write scripts for automation
• Experience working in the Higher education field.
• Industry standard certification or delegation such as SCCP, CCNA, CCVP, RHCE, MCSE, and CCNP. Should be familiar with information technology trends and practices in networking, IP Convergence, Telecommunications and server administration
• Alarm Systems and their communication over Telephony
• Overhead Paging Systems
• Emergency Phones (Blue Light, Elevator)
• Other VOIP platforms including MS-TEAMs, Avaya (CS1000 Signaling servers)
• Teldata cabling systems
• Strong skill and experience working with cross-functional, multi-disciplined teams, and possess the ability to work well with and collaborate with others in a converged services environment