Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Administrative Specialist (4722C) - NanoLab
University of California Berkeley
Administrative Specialist (4722C) - NanoLab
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/29/20
The Marvell Nanofabrication Laboratory (NanoLab) is an interdisciplinary recharge facility whose primary goals are to foster research and education in the areas of semiconductor manufacturing, nanofabrication techniques and interdisciplinary application of microfabrication. The Cory Hall Machine Shop recharge facility provides custom mechanical and facilities support for the NanoLab and for faculty research laboratories and support spaces throughout the College of Engineering (COENG). The Machine Shop supports research and education facilities and equipment in the areas of integrated circuits and systems; micro/nanofabrication technologies for integrated microelectronics, optics and MEMS; and advanced materials design and development for a wide range of interdisciplinary applications. The Machine Shop provides siting, fit-up, design, fabrication, modification and repair of specialized precision instruments and specialized support systems within COE and to other campus and inter-campus departments.
Both the NanoLab and the Cory Hall Machine shop are separate recharge centers within COENG. This position is integral for successful operations of both recharge centers, serving as administrative specialist.
55% PROCUREMENT and INVENTORY ADMINISTRATION:
- Incumbent provides procurement functions for replenishment of NanoLab and Cory Hall Machine Shop 1,500+ materials, supplies and inventoried items, in support of laboratory equipment and facilities maintenance and repair.
30% ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANCE / CUSTOMER SERVICE / CORY HALL MACHINE SHOP:
- Evaluates procurement requests to determine appropriate procurement method in order to ensure compliance with campus Supply Chain Management (SCM) policies and procedures and to meet vendor requirements,
- Utilize Berkeley Financial System (BFS) for procurement card (bluCard) charge reconciliation within 15-day staging period.
- Comply with procurement card policies, procedures and documentation requirements, obtain approver signature on all transactions, and stay current on policy updates and changes.
- Utilize Bearbuy and Mercury Web to prepare purchase orders for equipment repair parts and equipment services, materials and supplies; obtains and submits competitive bids and source justifications to Procurement Analyst 2 when required.
- Research and investigate new sources of supplies and services for the NanoLab and Cory Hall Machine Shop in order to obtain best pricing, discounts, quality and a high level of customer service.
- Incumbent has the authority to research and select substitute parts equivalent to the original part when original parts are no longer available or are not available in a timely manner. Consults with Procurement Analyst 2, staff engineers, technicians and graduate student researchers to determine the specifications for commodity and service selection.
- Communicate with industry vendors and manufacturer's representatives by telephone, fax, e-mail or in person regarding purchases, merchandise specifications and availability, equipment repair, terms of payment and delivery, educational discounts and equipment and service warranties.
- Provide excellent customer support to assure good working relationships with internal and external recharge customers.
- Serve as front office contact for the Cory Hall Machine Shop, including reception, answer telephone and relay messages; serve in the same capacity as back up for the NanoLab's front office AAIII as needed.
- Respond to inquiries from shop customers and maintain required communications.
- and mail services, maintaining common areas of front office, storage room environments as well as files, records and reference systems.
- Responsible for organizing and establishing the Machine Shop front office area, which involves maintaining common areas and storage room environments as well as files, records and reference systems for the smooth operation of the Cory Machine Shop office.
- Receive incoming job request, in person and through e-mail. Review for complete instructions, authorizing signature, and verify BFS chart of accounts using the on-line COA validation program.
- Independently assist shop customers with a variety of questions related to submitting job requests through the Mercury Web / Machine Shop Job Management System (MSJMS).
- Route job requests through MSJMS to the Engineering Technical Supervisor 2 for review and assignment of work. Maintain accuracy of the MSJMS by entering status updates, work-in-progress and job completions.
- Secure use of department truck when required via on-line reservations, maintain accurate mileage records, fuel documentation and truck service/maintenance records.
- Prepare Hazardous Waste Disposal forms for solvents and chemicals used in the Machine Shop and forward to Environment, Health and Safety for pickup and disposal.
- Responsible for ensuring Materials Safety Data Sheets for Machine Shop solvents, chemicals and gases are updated and maintained on a regular basis.
15% SHIPPING AND RECEIVING / STOCKROOM -
Daily receiving: (unpacking, matching packing slips to orders, notification emails to receivers, re-stocking).
- Oversees organization of 3 storerooms in Sutardja Dai Hall and Cory Hall.
- Using Mercury software, processes lab usage and equipment time billing adjustments as requested by lab members, in accordance with recharge policies and procedures.
- Ensure orders received are complete and inspected for damage.
- Determine when claims against freight companies are appropriate and initiates claims.
- Distribute non-inventory items to Shop and Lab engineer and technical staff as specified on purchase order.
- Prepare Federal Express shipments, ensure proper packaging of delicate instruments, maintain log of incoming/outgoing packages; charge lab member accounts for shipping charges when appropriate; ensure correct Chart of Account (OCA) is charged for outgoing shipments.
- Incumbent is responsible for on-line receiving of purchase orders for the Machine Shop and NanoLab (enter Quantity Receipts' into database).
Strict attention to detail is required as vendor is paid once receiving is performed and the Procurement Analyst is informed of receipts.
- Performs inventory counts, monitors stockrooms inventory for procurement of lab and shop materials, recharge items, office supplies and other procurement services as assigned by procurement analyst 2 and/or administrative manager.
- Excellent customer service. Ability to work cooperatively in a diverse environment that includes 400+ laboratory members, technical engineers and scientific researchers. Team player. Detailed oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines, in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrate excellent judgment. Troubleshoot proactively and resolve unexpected challenges quickly, making thoughtful decisions in a professional and timely manner. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and common desktop web, proficiency in database management, and knowledge of Berkeley Systems. Possess a comprehensive knowledge of university shipping and receiving, and inventory control rules and regulations. Supply Chain Management procurement policies and procedures; to include UC Business and Finance Bulletin BUS 43-Materiel Management, Business Credit Card (bluCard) Policies and Guidelines. Perform complex Internet searches for policies, guidelines, commodities, vendors, pricing and shipping comparisons. Able to independently perform assignments using judgement and guidelines; refer unusual problems to supervisor. Demonstrate ability to interpret and communicate procurement and service contract information, communicate clearly and succinctly, both in verbal and written communications, and practice diplomacy. Must be able to work Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm. Reliable attendance is essential.
- Knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs. Knowledge of a large campus environment - vision, mission, programs, policies, achievements and infrastructure. Specialized knowledge of machining commodities required by the Machine Shop and Nanofabrication Laboratory. Experience with UC policies and procedures. Knowledge of semiconductor industry materials, chemicals, and compressed gases used in the Machine Shop and Nanofabrication Laboratory. Associates or Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*Salary commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8509&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |