Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Research Manager (7377U) - Inst of Transportation Studies, Job 34413
University of California, Berkeley
Research Manager (7377U) - Inst of Transportation Studies, Job 34413
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
California Partners for Advanced Transportation Technology (PATH), has been a leader in Intelligent Transportation Systems research since its founding in 1986. Our aim is to realize a safe, equitable, efficient, and carbon-neutral transportation system for all, through research and development of advanced ideas and technologies. Our mission is to develop the solutions that address the challenges of California's surface transportation systems with a focus on greater deployment of those solutions throughout California.
In collaboration with the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), and administered by the university's Institute of Transportation Studies (ITS), PATH is a multi-disciplinary program with staff, faculty, and students from universities worldwide and cooperative projects with private industry, state and local agencies, and nonprofit institutions.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 5/2/2022 - Open Until Filled
5% Financial Analysis & Management:
- The RMA works closely with the PATH Research Center Director to develop and analyze comprehensive financial plans and oversees all financial activities as Delegate of the PM(s).
- The RMA interprets and implements complex financial concepts to develop financial plans, organizational budgets, monitor resource allocations, andmprepare complex financial projections. Financial plans are implemented by the RMA through close oversight of budgets, management of all purchasing, approval for a wide array of transactions, recharge administration, and detailed financial reporting to Federal, State, and private sector research sponsor organizations.
- The RMA manages complex and fluctuating staff effort allocations between various projects and ensures compensation equity measures within research groups.
- The RMA is responsible for compliance with Legal, University-level, Department-level, and various Research contract/grant-level financial policy requirements.
10% Financial Oversight
- Maintains, reviews, and oversees comprehensive databases of financial activities including both incoming funding and expenditures. Coordinates and implements department budget allocations.
- Builds and maintains PI(s) charts of accounts, other data management tools, and related business processes. Tracks financial activities, priorities, and opportunities.
10% Analytical Studies
- Performs complex financial research and analytical studies including forecasts, resource plans, approaches, and trends for department leadership.
- Gathers information, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for financial and / or resource plans, including resource allocation, operating forecasts, sources and uses, etc.
- Analyzes financial reporting on staff salaries / benefits, contractor invoicing, equipment, supplies, travel, indirect overhead costs, and more.
- Identifies and resolves discrepancies, inconsistencies, and other issues with financial records.
- Creates intricate revenue and expense projections for contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, etc. Generates, modifies, and conceives of new financial or other resource reports.
10% Financial Reporting
- Generates complex analytical reports of accounting, invoicing, and forecasting for PI(s), external research sponsors, and affiliates.
- Develops monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports on contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, staff / faculty salary budgets, and expenses. Financial and resource reporting includes budgetary analysis, financial analysis, forecasts, staff or faculty salary or FTE analysis, supplies expenditure analysis, compensation equity analysis, contracts and grants analysis, endowment income, fungibility of funds, etc.
10% Financial Consulting
- Advises PMs on financial management projects and coordinates critical financial planning between sponsors and research units.
- Provides planning input for grant and contract proposals and budgets, and contributes to research award negotiations. Coordinates closely with PMs to make informed financial recommendations.
5% Effort Allocation
- Allocates personnel effort, salary, and benefits between multiple research projects.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares, summarizes, and documents financial and HR data for allocation projects.
- 15% Transaction Management
- Manages all financial transactions including training staff on appropriate procedures such as preparation, review, and approval.
- Oversees all procurement expenses, documentation, recharge administration, and compliance review. Initiates, reviews, edits, and oversees service contracts.
- Calculates, plans, and ensures compensation equity including issuing stipends.
- Approves supplies, travel, and entertainment reimbursements for faculty, staff, students, and external affiliates.
- Registers suppliers, vendors, contractors, and affiliates to receive payments or reimbursements from the university.
5% Management Analysis & Administration
- The RMA manages high-level analysis and administrative services including end-to-end development and oversight of management plans, projects, and processes as delegate of PM.
- The RMA advises PMs and acts as assistant manager of subordinate staff.
- The RMA oversees and facilitates complex interdepartmental processes, manages employee Human Resource procedures, supervises service contracts and contractors, advises on and oversees organizational staffing changes, represents research unit with both internal and external communication, and updates procedural structures to increase efficiency and ensure policy compliance.
- The RMA is responsible for compliance with Legal, University-level, Department-level, and various Research contract/grant-level management policy requirements.
5% Business Consulting
- Develops business plans including analysis and design, system or procedure testing and implementation, documentation, security, workflow, reporting, customer feedback, or other program management projects as delegated by PM.
5% Human Resource Oversight
- Oversees and manages a variety of human resource activities relating to employment, training, classification, and ensuring the completion of forms and documents related to HR and Payroll for research unit.
5% External Representation
- Represents research unit by formally conveying critical and sensitive management and financial information to internal and external stakeholders. Also acts as PM(s) delegate to independently coordinate across various university departments while facilitating or resolving end-to-end organizational projects.
- Coordinates critical program management tasks between managers, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Oversees official correspondence / messaging to organizational constituents and stakeholders. Assists in design and drafting of organizational website content.
5% Office Management
- Monitors and authorizes use of equipment, supplies, and spaces.
- Develops and implements procedures to maintain inventory of supplies and to keep equipment in good working condition.
10% Program Management
Responsible for overseeing subordinate staff, service contractors, support employees, and students in various capacities.
[*] Managing Staff - Represents Director(s) / PI(s) / PM(s) by directing and advising staff, students, and contractors regarding a wide variety of organizational, employment, compensation, payment, and human resource issues. [*] Project Leadership - Leads projects with various subordinate personnel and develops an effective team environment. [*] Training Staff - Trains, informs, and directs subordinate staff or contractors as needed.
Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- 5+ Years of financial / management analysis experience.
- 3+ Years of experience managing university research contracts and grants.
- 3+ Years of experience directing subordinate staff.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel & Google Sheets (including large databases, advanced formulas, and advanced features).
- High proficiency in Microsoft and Google Suites including MS Word / Google Docs, MS PowerPoint / Google Slides, and Outlook / Gmail.
- High proficiency creating and managing complex forms and large response databases.
- Proficiency with administrative systems including: MailChimp, Slack, and Atlassian Confluence.
- Thorough knowledge of University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting and fund management, reporting techniques, personnel management, human resource policies and procedures for staff and academic employees.
- Proven ability using spreadsheet and database software for complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports.
- Solid knowledge of common designated computer application programs for program management projects.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Proven interpersonal skills with peers throughout the organization; strong service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail.
- Proven ability using organizational skills to multitask in a high volume environment.
- Ability to independently gather required information to organize, and perform financial and management analysis assignments.
- Proven knowledge of University Research unit program management and financial operational activities such as accounting and payroll, financial reporting, contracts and grants regulations and guidelines, risk management planning, research proposal / award processes, human resource planning, and business management practices.
- Strong skills in short and long-term planning, complex analysis, and problem-solving.
- Strong proven ability to employ discretion and maintain confidentiality with highly sensitive information.
- Ability to carefully maintain procedural consistency while adapting to changing priorities.
- Ability to function as a member of a team.
- Proven ability to manage personnel.
- High proficiency with UC Berkeley financial systems including: BFS, CalAnswers, BearBuy, Phoebe, Berkeley SIS, BluCard Procurement Systems.
- High proficiency managing complex UC Berkeley Engineering research Contracts and Grants from Federal, State, and Industry sponsors.
- Experience with California Department of Transportation research funding restrictions and requirements is especially important.
- High proficiency managing research contracts with UC Berkeley departments: ERSO Research Administrators, Sponsored Projects Office (SPO), Industrial Alliances Office (IAO), and Contracts & Grants Accounting (CGA).
- Proficiency with UC Berkeley human resource systems including: UCJobBuilder, UCPath, and CalTime.
- Proficiency with University administrative systems including: BETS, IST Telecom Service Catalog, WorkStudy.Berkeley.edu, bCourses, and DocuSign.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=34413&PostingSeq=1
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |