Georgia Southern - Savannah
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
2130201 - Resident Life
Residence Life. The Resident Director manages day-to-day operations of a residence hall(s) to create and manage an effective living-learning environment for students; coordinates and administers aspects of a residential learning program in one residence hall; and is responsible for establishing an environment conducive to the academic success and personal grown of each student resident. The Resident Director is a 12-month, live-in position. The compensation package includes a two bedroom furnished apartment and meal plan. A detailed job description can be found at (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qU8xS23H0ZvpEQ0NOh-w5zWayx1e_0X5/view?usp=sharing
). This position has been identified by Federal Law (Jeanne Clery Act) as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), with significant student and campus responsibilities. CSA 's are obligated to report crimes reported to them which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Assist with the selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of Graduate Assistants, Resident Advisors and Desk Assistants
- Develop duty schedules and maintain payroll records on a regular basis
- Attend and conduct staff meetings and intentional meeting with individual staff members on appropriate, regular intervals.
- Directly monitor actions and activities of building staff to ensure established policies and procedures are being upheld
- Maintain a high level of contact with students by being visible throughout buildings in complex on a regular basis and establishing regular office hours in assigned residence hall
- Assist with training workshops and in-service programs throughout the year
- Investigate and report incidents
- Serve on or provide leadership for one or more Residence Education or University Housing committees (i.e., staff selection, staff training, recognition committee)
- Serve on University or Division-wide committees
- Present or attend appropriate in-service programs and conferences for continued professional and personal growth
- Support student success and personal development
- Advise and recruit student leaders to participate in the building leadership and programming efforts
- Serve as essential personnel and maintain availability outside of normal business hours
- Monitor and coordinate room change and occupancy processes in residence hall(s) in collaboration with Administrative Services
- Coordinate process for opening and closing of the residence hall(s) in collaboration with Administrative Services
- Manage the building's budget for programming and student leadership activities as outlined by the Residential Curriculum model
- Works on a rotating on-call duty schedule, responds to situations when needed, and advises staff on emergency protocol.
- Work cooperatively with facilities staff to ensure the safety, cleanliness, and upkeep of the residence hall(s)
- Adjudicate conduct cases involving potential violations of University and Housing policies, utilizing online student conduct manager software
- Train, supervise, and evaluate undergraduate student staff and graduate assistants
- Master's degree in higher education, counseling, student services or related field
- One or more years of related work experience in higher education student affairs
- Work experience in a residence hall environment
$33,300 - $36,000
Required Documents to Attach
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Please attach three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section of your application.
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to work well in a diverse environment
- Ability to work well with college students in a living-learning environment
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to manage customer service issues and student crises
- Ability to stay current on safety features in buildings
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure information sensitive in nature
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Understanding of procedures and willingness to follow University policies to meet institutional goals
Apply Before Date
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, group dynamics, flexibility, and programming in a residence hall setting
- Experience with crisis intervention and emergency response to on-campus residence halls
- Effective communication (verbal and written); organizational (including problem solving and detail orientation); and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service centered work ethic
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
June 1, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Available for extended days, weekend duty, university activities and emergencies when needed
- Sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting may be required to perform responsibilities
- Live in a resident hall and maintain regular office hours weekly
- Ability to visit any floor or any residence hall as emergencies or job related activities require
- 12-month live-in position and includes a furnished apartment
- Meal plan during the fall/spring semesters
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=223520&PostingSeq=1