HR Assistant / Administrative Assistant III (4722C) Job 27329 - ERSO
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/5/19
The Engineering Research Support Organization (ERSO) supports 240+ faculty affiliated with 22 campus-wide departments, schools and colleges, with over $100 million in annual research expenditures. The total research expenditures administered by the unit represent 25% of campus-wide research expenditure volume.
ERSO works to provide customers with expert resources in Research Administration, Business, Financial, Human Resource and Payroll services. Our goal is to enable faculty and students to focus on their work in support of the campus mission. Our organization maintains a customer-oriented operation and supports a culture of continuous improvement. We strive to improve our offerings, processes, systems, and work to apply novel approaches to complex problems. Our enterprise is structured with inherent flexibility to meet quickly-changing demands.
The ERSO HR Assistant exists to provide administrative support to the HR Operations unit within ERSO. The HR Assistant will perform general HR functions for Graduate Student Researchers and Undergraduate Students for ERSO.
Student Hiring (70%):
- Schedule and meet with Graduate Student and Undergraduate student hires to instruct them on how to complete new hire/rehire paperwork.
- Route employment forms to appropriate office in a timely manner ensuring accuracy and completeness of contents.
- Make GLACIER entries for foreign employees and instruct them on how to obtain a social security number, if needed.
- Prepare employment verification letters for Graduate Students and undergraduate students as needed.
- Provide accurate and timely entries in HR Database.
- Perform HCM entries for GSR, GSI and Undergraduate hires, extensions, title changes, pay rate changes, transfers and terminations.
- Send payment requests to ERSO Payroll Services for pay, pay adjustments and retro wages.
- Determine appropriate classification level for student positions by working with supervisor, PI and HR Operations Lead or HR Manager.
- Post grammatically correct and professional job postings on work study and Handshake websites.
General Office Support (25%):
- Ensure that all personnel forms, checksheets and benefit packets are current and reordered as needed.
- Responsible for keeping file cabinet fully stocked and neatly organized.
- Process GSR, GSI and Undergraduate Student Employee Action Change Forms (EACF) and Earnings Distribution Change Request Forms (EDCF) via our Distribution Change System by published deadlines.
- Purge terminated files.
- Responsible for records management including creating new employee files and filing all paperwork generated by the HR Operations staff.
- Greet customers promptly and offer direction or assistance as needed.
- Provide excellent, pro-active customer service.
ERSO Administrative Support (5%):
- Other duties/special projects as needed.
A working knowledge of basic office procedures in all areas:
- An understanding of applicable University HR and payroll policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in working with web based systems, computer office software and calendaring systems.
- Experience with Excel to maintain spreadsheets, while learning a fuller range of spreadsheet capabilities.
*Two to three years experience in the HR field, or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate word processing knowledge including mail merge, imbedded graphics and the ability to convert documents to .pdf format.
- Knowledge of business principles and processes for providing customer service.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic internet skills.
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Meticulous, accurate and possess a rigorous attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills to maintain cooperative and effective working relationships.
- Able to independently perform routine assignments and refer unusual problems to supervisor.
* Ability to work in teams and independently.
- Ability to meet regular deadlines.
- Ability to quickly set and execute changing priorities.
- Ability to research and resolve problems, follow through on projects and assignments.
- Ability to use judgment to follow standard guidelines.
- Willingness to learn and take direction as well as constructive feedback.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written form.
- Ability to interpret written policies as needed.
- Ability to use judgment to solve problems.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding sensitive personnel matters.
** Experience in hiring Graduate students in the GSI and GSR titles.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The hourly salary range designated for this position: $23.47 - $27.00; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27329&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1