Assistant Equipment Manager (5173U) 14804
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 8, 2021
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA).
The Assistant Equipment Manager is responsible for equipment safety standards, policy, compliance, and inventory. The Assistant Equipment Manager, under the general supervision of the Director, will assist with the overall equipment operation of the 30 Division I varsity sports to include the involvement with both Men's and Women's programs. This position's responsibilities include: ordering, sizing, inventory, issuing, returning, maintenance, and monitoring all apparel and equipment for the Athletic Department. The Assistant Equipment Manager reports to the Director of Equipment and is part of a team of 6 full-time employees plus student workers.
- Maintain inventory records of all assigned athletic teams.
- Fit student-athletes with proper size of equipment and uniforms.
- Work closely with assigned coaches, advising them with respect to the purchase, issue, and return of all athletic equipment.
- Supervise and account for the issue, return, storage, and maintenance of the athletic equipment for assigned intercollegiate sports.
- Coordinate laundry to implement process for all practice, game clothing, and uniforms in order to support team practice and games for each assigned sport.
- Work directly with representatives from vendor companies to research, select, and purchase necessary clothing and equipment for sport teams.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from members of senior staff and donors.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Thorough knowledge of program activity and best practices.
- Thorough knowledge of AEMA best practices and methodologies.
- Problem-solving skills; multi-task, work with frequent interruptions, and effective listener.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Customer service focused attitude and ability to work with a diverse work group
- Must be organized and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing deadlines and multiple priorities
- AEMA Certification - Athletic Equipment Manager's Association
- Knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Prior experience working in equipment for an intercollegiate athletic organization.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time 1 year contracted position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14804&PostingSeq=1